dash covering question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
dash covering question

has anyone stripped off the vinyl covering of their dash? i have parts of mine that are coming loose at the bottom and bubbling and thought about tearing it all off and painting it. anyone else do this or have it happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
has anyone stripped off the vinyl covering of their dash? i have parts of mine that are coming loose at the bottom and bubbling and thought about tearing it all off and painting it. anyone else do this or have it happen?
I did this to my lower dash (which was already rusted apart) and found that the process is extraordinarily messy.

If your intent is to "preserve" the vinyl and the foam underneath...that will not happen.

Mine came apart in about 60 bits of foam and vinyl. Some of the vinyl will peel off easily. Some will crack due to age.

What you will also find is that the metal underneath the vinyl looks nothing like the shape of the vinyl. The vinyl's shape is due to the foam over the metal. You could restore the metal by repainting it, but recovering the metal in vinyl will involve redoing the foam.
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:16 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
thanks, i would just leave it bare metal (i am still thinking of making a custom dash and it would be all metal). i figured if i pulled the vinyle some of the foam would be stuck on etc. and would need to be wire wheeled/sanded off.

does the shape of the lower dash, the metal part, look significantly different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Not significantly different (it's basically the same shape) but if you go metal only, it's about 1/2" smaller in all dimensions than normal, and there are holes, flanges, and other unexpected shapes in the metal that don't show in the vinyl.

It would look very industrial as a result. But if that's the look you want, I'd say go for it.
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
thanks! i like the look of old all metal dashes, like the series I and II. do you happen to have any pics of yours? i guess i could take it off and look at the inside shape of it to get an idea of the look.
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:14 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
thanks! i like the look of old all metal dashes, like the series I and II.
Sure series sashes are nice, but the super structure for a D dash is nothing like the old series dashes. It's just pressed sheet metal. Stick with the recovered D dash, make something entirely custom, or graft a Series II/IIA dash to the bulkhead etc. but for the love of god don't just strip the padding off the D dash. It will look and perform like monkey butt.
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:17 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Interested in pics as well.

A friend got his recovered by a local upholstery shop. Can't remember what it cost but it wasn't much and he was pretty pleased with the result.
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
thanks! i like the look of old all metal dashes, like the series I and II. do you happen to have any pics of yours? i guess i could take it off and look at the inside shape of it to get an idea of the look.
It looks absolutely nothing like a Series I/II dash. grnrvrs is right, it does not look good.
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:05 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
I figured it would not look like a series dash, i only used that as an example. I wonder how involved grafting a series dash would be, and where i would find eveything. And, series I or Ii
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Thats funny jeff . Plus a series II would be easier to fit i would imagine. Where could i find a series II dash anyway, any ideas?
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
I found a heat shrink foam online for just this, I think it was 3M, but now I can't find the link.

But I'm leaning more towards a custom metal dash with a coating like you find on the Tuffy consoles. Just seems more practical than anything covered in vinyl
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:57 AM
AgRover
Adin
1997 Defender 90 SW Badge #2493

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover
I found a heat shrink foam online for just this, I think it was 3M, but now I can't find the link.

But I'm leaning more towards a custom metal dash with a coating like you find on the Tuffy consoles. Just seems more practical than anything covered in vinyl
Any luck with the all metal dash? I would love to get rid of all the plastic. I like the thoughts of an all metal black coated dash. I would be interested in hearing what you may have tried.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There is a thread here called LHD dash with examples of defenders with metal dadhes

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover, dash