Damp & grimy "inside" distributor? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:04 PM
'84 2-carb'd V8 4-speed 110 LHD SW
Damp & grimy "inside" distributor?

My 110 recently fell into a won't start condition here in the rainy PNW & when I got around to looking under the distributor cap to assess the rotor arm, the bits & surfaces atop the distributor seemed funkier than I expected. Is a grimy coating of condensation plus bits of organic matter to be expected on the top surfaces of a distributor under the cap? Also, the shaft that the rotor arm mounts onto has a light, yet complete coating of rust - should I at least try to clean that rust off or do I risk damaging the distributor bits below?

New Lucas-branded Facet cap & rotor arm in the mail, but does the moist funk condemn my distributor as weatherproofing-compromised, etc.?

Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:11 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
As far as I know, everything Land Rover made of a certain vintage was "weatherproofing-compromised" out of the box.
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions