damn noise's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

damn noise's

i just replaced my steering box and pitman arm (drop arm) ... now i hear this noise that you can only hear when the car is idle-ing in neutral or drive or park...the noise is sequencial and seems to happen in a monotonous way.. i know the noise is coming from the steering box because thats all i have messed with...any ideas on what this noise could be or if its even a problem...should i open it up and have a look to make sure no further problems happen as result ?
gosh im trying to describe the noise...its systematic and its almost like it happens only once something comes around...i.e. - so its almost like something is turning and everytime the point (which causes the noise) comes around it rubs on something to make the noise...
-ky
thx any ideas are great...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Check the pulley alignment and see if that is where the noise is coming from. If it is at low rpms and goes away then I would look there first.

If it is in the steering box then it might be pressure related. Higher pressure makes it go away. Otherwise it would get louder as rpms increase.

Do the old hose in the ear trick to help find the source of the noise.
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:05 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

ya sounds like its going to be the pulley alignment b/c I definitly only hear it at low rpm's ...
ill check on that and get back...thx for input as always appreciated
-ky

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions