Damn, no spark problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Damn, no spark problem

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA due to unfinished projects and clubbing at nite. Anyway pulled into a 711 after partying with Blake Lewis and then, turns over but no start. Towed it home (embarassing in Hollywood ) and then did some tests. Just did new pump, both relays and ran new primary wire to fuel pump with new ground to chassis, can hear the prime so I know its fine as in not fuel related. Did a search this morning so I got a good few things I'm going to test. First of all I got power to the coil when the key is turned to the 2nd position, so I know thats fine. Pulled the lead to the coil and later the #1 wire and tried to get a spark.....nothing. Had a brand new spare coil and tried it, still no spark. A few months ago a stereo amplifier power wire came loose and got shorted on the drum brake and killed the battery. Put a new alternator on and new battery with new amplifier cable got me running, hope that didn't cause more damage but I suspect my ignition module is probably what the problem is. Got a new one already gonna try to replace that. Distributor was replaced like 5 years ago with a new stock one. All the wires look ok, except when I had that short some of the wires on the coil got hot a bit and melted the covers a bit, wire looks ok and I know I'm getting 12v to the coil when I turn the key. Weird thing is after awhile of trying to get it to turn I hear a whine of the alternator through my speakers. What do you guys think?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ignition module. Maybe chicklet thing on white and black wire.
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Same thing happened to a 1995 I have here about a month ago. Swapped ECU's and it fired right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Ignition module. Maybe chicklet thing on white and black wire.
haha I hate the black chicklet, its a bit loose, but seems to fit fine. I think I will swap ignition module first, you gotta take the distributor off right? Thats how I did it last time, don't think you can reach the nuts with the dizzy on. If that dosen't work, I will swap ECU's, got a few in my arsenal. Thanks everyone. Also in the distributor cap, the spring loaded lug seems a bit loose, like mabye when I had the short it might of caused things in there to get hot as well, better order a new one as well. Any other suggestions due to that short? (new alternator not rebuiult installed right after the short)

Robert Deniro
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mine all have the relocation kit except the 110 motor but somehow I got that module off in situ.
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I will try to relocate everything with parts from John Gadd. Thanks mang.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions