Damn, my driveline is noisy! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Damn, my driveline is noisy!

The 90 has developed a new noise and I thought I'd see what sort of guesses were out there as to the cause.

At higher RPM's (as when cruising on the road) the truck sounds like a floor board has been removed - its just damn noisy, and this is a recent development.

There is no vibration, it doesn't sound like the high-pitched whine of a neglected transfer case. Its more of just a loud driveline noise.

I've checked all the fluids, t-case is full, trans is full, drive shafts seem to have no play, etc. I'll double check everything as soon as possible, but in the meantime it seems like all is in order.

I can tell I have some sort of engine oil leak, perhaps from the rear of the oil pan.

This is really confusing me, it seems to have come from nowhere...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2009, 11:36 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Exhaust hitting anything?
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Are the nuts that hold the flanges securely tightened on the pinion and t case sides? I had this on my series rig, tight bolts connecting the driveshaft to the flanges but the bolt holding the flange to the transfercase was finger loose. When examined it all felt solid until I pulled the driveshaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I actually found a couple of the bolts that hold one of the trailing arm bushings had worked loose and I totally thought I had found the smoking gun at that point. Unfortunately, I hit the road and the noise was still there. I'll check these things you guys mentioned.

Old November 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Jim-
Make sure you chock the wheels, take it out of gear and leave the parking brake off when checking for play in the UJ's
Does the sound go away at freeway speed when you are in neutral or have the clutch in?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions