damn heater removal! alternative replacement? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:53 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

damn heater removal! alternative replacement?

If I could only get my hands on the engineer who designed this damn heater! I've had a bitch of a time trying to get it out, without going through the "authorized" procedure.

At this point I have all the screws out and even moved the ECU out of the way but it looks like I'll still have to remove the hood and/or the hoses.

Perhaps I'm doing the impossible by avoiding "unnecessary" removals but ...

Anyway, I do see a bunch of water pooling inside the fan so if I am lucky there may still be some in the motor causing a persistant short. I do have to take out the motor to diagnose it.

Or not...I am now seriously thinking of fitting a new assembly altogether - a non-Land Rover part, of course.

So, has anyone ever done this? I imagine there must be something that fits, is more powerful and easier to get at. And I don't need the intake to face upward. What a stupid design that is!

My search begins not too soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2003, 11:10 PM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

I am a little confused...are you talking about removing the heater fan...or the heator core?
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:16 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The heater blower (motor) is blowing a fuse so I have to remove the entire heater to take out the motor.

I'm trying to pivot the entire heater assembly to just unscrew the motor but it's a bear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2003, 11:21 PM
scot
Scot Yount

I thought you meant the heater core...I changed one of those once and I have an air conditioner....what a bitch...
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:01 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So, how did you pry the assembly out? Did you remove the hood?

Looks like I'll have to disconnect the hoses as there is no way to pry it up on the opposite end - where the motor is!
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:15 AM
scot
Scot Yount

I did remove the hood....very easy to do. I had a lot of practice removing the hood from my old Series III. I changed out the core...(it leaked) which absolutely sucked...you have to get it out of that box that it is in...which is riveted together.
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Summit has a aux heater but it would not work the defroster. I think Rovers North sells heater replacments for seires trucks but it may work on the 90. Do you have a manual?? I have one if you need it.
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:20 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I have the manual. It says remove the coolant, remove the AC evap. I managed to unbolt it all without doing this. It appears the only way to get it out is upwards so the hoses would have to be removed. If so, I'll just blank them off and top up the system if need be.

The RN Mansfield appears to be too big and is definitely so in price! I've found a place called Heatercraft that has some "small" one piece heaters that may work. I would also relocate the intake and blank off the intake grille on the wing.

If the motor was on the opposite side I'd be done by now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, heater