Damn! Cannot figure out what is wrong with the lights! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2005, 06:10 PM
solihul
Rover

Damn! Cannot figure out what is wrong with the lights!

I have an 86 RHD Diesel Defender. The headlights stopped working about two months ago. Some people said it was fuses - I replaced them all and checked the wiring which looks good. Some people said it was the switch as I can activate the high beams by pulling back the stalk. I replaced that. It's not the ground as I checked that. HELP! I cannot figure the friggin problem out. It is not so easy to just wire around it as the turn signal stalk controls high/low/dipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by solihul
Some people said it was the switch as I can activate the high beams by pulling back the stalk. I replaced that.
Which switch did you replace the high beam switch or the headlamp switch? Do the park lights come on? Have you checked the headlight relay?
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM
solihul
Rover

I replaced the two position (park/headlight) switch. The parking lights do come on. The headlights will NOT come on - but the high beam when you pull it backwards will come on. Behind the fuse panel is a Hella relay for the turnsignals and one other silver relay - I do not have any idea what that does. I cannot find any other relays. This is an 86 RHD 110 - if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, Do you have a volt meter, or at least a test light? I would say you are getting voltage to the headlight switch if the park lights work, you could measure the voltage comming off the switch just to be sure it is working but since you replaced it I think the problem lies else where.

Does the headlight lamp on the dash come on? It get's it's power right before the fuse to the headlights. I am looking at a dagram I have for the electrical for 86 and newer Defenders and I am not sure if that will help because I think the indicator light is only for high beams. There is no headlight relay, but the other relay I think is for the starter. The only thing that ties the headlights together is the fuse, before the fuse it is all on wire, after the fuse it is 2 wires. You may have to trace wires. Do the contacts in the fuse holder look bad? Is this a UK 86? If so it could be the contact for the low beams on the high beam switch is bad.

Hope this helps! Where exactly is the 90? Vermont, Nantucket? Can I e-mail you some stuff that may help
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

I had the same problem you mention. I had parking lights, but no headlights. I could pull the directional signal lever back and get high beams, but still no headlights. I pulled the steering wheel (just for ease of access) and found the connection for the headlight switch. I had a heck of a time getting it seperated, but after getting it apart, finding nothing visible to cause concern, I plugged the two connections back together and the headlights work! It took me longer to get the steering wheel off than to mess with the connection. So it seems to me that it was just the connection. Hope this helps.

Dennis
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:42 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i also second the plug check-- but mine was the plug to the back of the headlight.turn the head lights on and wiggle the plug on the back of the head lights.just an idea -worked for me
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:50 PM
leachy
Daniel Leach
9 LHD 300 CSWs 2017 Range Rover

Mine did the same n if I remember I got the the switch by the steering wheel n checked the connections, a wire was off or a moving switch was corroded, so a quick clean up and it's fine still.
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This has to be a record for reviving a zombie thread! 10+ year old thread back from the dead.
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:13 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
This has to be a record for reviving a zombie thread! 10+ year old thread back from the dead.
Lol - exactly what I thought. Still read the thread anyway
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:52 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You have the typical dead (pas power little of the time) fuse box scenario.
PM and I'll walk you through a solution...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:01 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
You have the typical dead (pas power little of the time) fuse box scenario.
PM and I'll walk you through a solution...

Old thread, same old problem. No low beams and dash lights. Replaced the light switch and still doesn't work. I've read that the indicator/horn/high beam switch could be faulty, so I have that on the way (high beams, indicator and horn work). My old one has a broken clamp and I've read that having it loose on the steering column can mess up the poorly made switches. Now that I think of it, I think I was using the indicator stalk when the lights went out.

What's the "fuse box scenario"? How do I make sure everything is okay in the fuse box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 1.00.27 PM.png
Views:	55
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	145743  
Old October 26th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Love these old threads. Same old issues though.
Anybody help me out with similar issues? I swapped H4 bulbs for LED and bench tested everything. No issues. Very bright and I was excited. Install was actually very easy but then I try the headlights and I got nothin! Only park lights and blinkers?!? Tested the plug at the light and Iím only getting 1.5V.
Now does that mean a short typically or could it be a fuse? I figure a blown fuse I wouldnít have any voltage at the plugs.
Appreciate any help or advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights