Damaged my Power Steering pump WTF! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Damaged my Power Steering pump WTF!

I was replacing my fan belts and without going into too much detail(cuz I'm an idiot), I damaged my power steering pump and now it's leaking so now I get to replace that too(yeah).

I've checked the auto parts stores and I've had no luck. Outside of a dealer, if they even carry it, is my only choice to order through a rover site like roversdownsouth etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Im guessing your 100% its pump. I replaced my lines and that solved my leak.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I thought there was a GM replacement unit... Try searching. Shouldn't it be the same as a disco, steal one from the mall parking lot...:-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
After I drink a couple homebrews, I'll spend some time searching this evening to find a reasonable replacement. The D90 just went back on storage insurance
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What exactly did you do to the pump? Puncture it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I thought there was a GM replacement unit... Try searching. Shouldn't it be the same as a disco, steal one from the mall parking lot...:-)

There is a GM replacement. Comes off a late 80s Chevy S10 4cyl. I have one on mine and it works a charm. You just have to switch the union that goes to the PS res for the one off the 90 pump. GM one is straight, 90 one is right angled.

I don't have a dizzy so I can't comment on it but there is some discussion on routing the hoses if you have one. Not sure why it would be a problem looking at mine but you can read about it here on Dweb:

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38203

I don’t know the specs to say how much higher the GM unit output it is but on my truck it made the steering a lot easier with 285s in the rocks. Makes no more noise than the LR one did. Can't remember the price now but it wasn't expensive and its stocked at most corner parts stores.

Edit- Took a couple of pics so you can see the union in question. On the GM Pump this is a straight union, on the LR its angled like you see in the pics. You just need to pull the one out of the GM pump and replace it with the LR one from your old pump. I don't see why this would be in the way of the dizzy but as you can see I don't have one so can't be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GM PS Pump 01.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	49406   Click image for larger version

Name:	GM PS Pump 02.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	49407  

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I was hammering/loosening the pump and my breaker bar moved off of my point and I basically deep dimples the pump. Then it started leaking at the front seam near the pump(this is when I dropped a big fat f bomb!). Typically Im not such a dumbass.

Ian thank you so much for this. I've also decided to replace the valve cover gaskets since I'm parkIng my truck as my daily driver. I'll keep you posted and if you are In the Red Bank area in NJ your can dink a beer while I break more parts.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If your D90 is a 94' the powersteering pump is different then a 97'
D90

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I read on discoweb of some folks still makings the swap on a 94 so I'll do some research to see if it's a possible swap. Amazing how a three year older truck looks much dirtier. Pendy, do you work,on trucks? If so I need to hook you up with a friend in Kansas who's a proud owner of a 94 white D90
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Yes I believe you can use the S10 pump on the Vbelt trucks, there is a write up over at rangerovers.net. I was able to get a pump from RDS at a good price.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]There is a GM replacement. Comes off a late 80s Chevy S10 4cyl. I have one on mine and it works a charm. You just have to switch the union that goes to the PS res for the one off the 90 pump. GM one is straight, 90 one is right angled.
Ian, I'd like to give this a shot. Can you confirm this is part # 20874 and can you elaborate on changing the union? Does this have a threaded fitting? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
charles
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
So quick update, I found a guy in California that rebuilds late model NLA pumps, alternators, etc. He remanufactured mine for $125 which isn't too bad considering it was my fault. He shipped it back to me yesterday so I should have it in about a week. When you factor in extra bits plus having the flange pressed off the old and onto the new, it's not too far off on price. Once I get it back and if it works out, I'll post his site and contact information.
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:15 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Hi Charles,

That looks like the right number.

On mine the fitting is a push in fit. Pulled it out with vice grips and some cloth in the jaws to protect it. Pulled the one out of the new pump the same way then tapped the original into the new pump with a small hammer.

It's the suction side of the pump from the res so there is no positive pressure on it.

HTH

Ian
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:43 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I wanted to post the pics of my "no longer" F'd power steering pump. It will be a few weeks before I get it into the truck but the work was done well. He fixed the bad dent I put in it and then rebuilt the internals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	51622  
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Keeping in mind I have a serpentine belt setup, I ended up going with part #81-1425 from NAPA, a re-manufactured pump, around $120. I unintentionally broke my right angle piece during removal of the pump so that ruled out use the #20874. For anyone else doing this, if you loosen the 3 bolts on the pulley before removing the belt, then remove the pulley, you can good access to the high pressure line to undo it. I chose to undo the pump so I could then get better access to that fitting and pried against the 90 degree angle tube while trying to undo the fitting and it broke

I did have to swap the mounting flange over and the angle of the 90 degree is slightly different, but angles away from the distributor (comes close to the bracket holding the pump, but does not interfere).

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	51624 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	51625

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	51626 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1152.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	51627

Other than running it and turning the wheel lock to lock a few times to purge it of air, I haven't driven with it yet.
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Charles, did you bleed the box too?
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Not yet but will if needed.
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I hope I didn't screw the replacement pump up. In hindsight I should have opened the bleed valve and let it gravity bleed before running it, but didn't. I have replaced several engines and steering gearboxes and don't recall having any problems bleeding the PAS system at all, but may have indeed opened up the bleed valve every other time.

When I first fired up the truck and I turned the steering wheel lock to lock, I'm pretty sure I felt the pump working, and I added fluid to the reservoir. But I didn't have time to finish up and let it sit for a day or so. When I went to test drive it, the pump was doing nothing and felt like manual steering. I attempted to bleed it then but had no success. Today I tried again, this time trying something Davis mentioned in another thread which is to put a tube onto the bleeder, turn in full right and let it bleed fluid. Other than the fluid level dropping there are no signs of fluid pumping through the system. I put 1.5 bottles through it. At some point I tried revving the engine a bit to try increase the pumping and the pump started to whine. But still no pumping, signs of fluid moving or assist to the steering.

Any thoughts? At this point I think I either screwed up the pump or it was DOA. I don't see any air in the system and no leaks at the connections, but no sign of fluid actually pumping.

One thing I suppose might help is if I undid the mounting bolts and tried to lower and invert the pump so the fittings are on top, and maybe if air is in the pump it would escape that way, but that's 90% of the work of pulling the pump and putting another in....
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Bringing this thread back.

I have an early 200tdi style pump in my truck that runs a Vbelt. Both hoses are clamp on (even on the high pressure side)

Can I use the pump talked about in this thread? My assumption would be just to swap the hi pressure feed like to the PS box with the newer style. Or possibly just use the banjo and feed line from my current pump if the output is threaded the same as the original

My PS pump and bracket is like the style on the images below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NTC8287-300TDI-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-ASSEMBLY.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	54899   Click image for larger version

Name:	med_gallery_2_301_308440.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	54900  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
damage