Damaged CV Fix? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Damaged CV Fix?

Thanks to my recent move, I discovered this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1046272509.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	91624

Is there any way to fix this or are the movers buying me new front shafts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bend the broken piece back. That is just the reluctor ring for ABS sensor.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:14 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
You may be able to clean it out with a file or something, it may throw an ABS code if it's not fixed.

------ Follow up post added March 22nd, 2014 12:15 PM ------

I see I was late to the party, but I agree with evil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Ok, thanks fellas. Its going into a Defender so I assume no issues with ABS. Im probably still going to get the movers to replace it and fix this one.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

with out the abs portion working correctly it may throw a rough road code and check engine light as your 97 has "abs" sensors but no abs
Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdoc View Post
with out the abs portion working correctly it may throw a rough road code and check engine light as your 97 has "abs" sensors but no abs
Good ti know, thanks.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Good luck on getting any compensation from the movers. They have a long list of excuses on anything that gets damaged to put you off getting any compensation. They literally code everything they move as damaged in some way when they load, using weird not explained codes (until something turns up damaged). Which magically correspond to "we will not cover any damage to this item." When the ruined some of our furniture and dodged using this code scheme, I examined the loading sheets carefully, they coded each and every piece of furniture with damage codes.

Next move, I order a container, pack it myself and then have it trucked. It cannot be any worse. Then my homeowners insurance covers it. Even in the military, when the surgeons packed the containers with our goods. They put all the scuba equipment on top of an intricate rosewood room divider, which was kindling when it got back stateside. Not their fault in the end. I shouldn't have owned heavy scuba equipment.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
Good luck on getting any compensation from the movers. They have a long list of excuses on anything that gets damaged to put you off getting any compensation. They literally code everything they move as damaged in some way when they load, using weird not explained codes (until something turns up damaged). Which magically correspond to "we will not cover any damage to this item." When the ruined some of our furniture and dodged using this code scheme, I examined the loading sheets carefully, they coded each and every piece of furniture with damage codes.

Next move, I order a container, pack it myself and then have it trucked. It cannot be any worse. Then my homeowners insurance covers it. Even in the military, when the surgeons packed the containers with our goods. They put all the scuba equipment on top of an intricate rosewood room divider, which was kindling when it got back stateside. Not their fault in the end. I shouldn't have owned heavy scuba equipment.
That's a shaddy/shitty moving company.

I've moved twice from overseas and used the same company. Didn't have issues when they damage the furniture and glassware.

Damage is unavoidable... once stateside I move twice and WE damaged some furniture.

Hopefully they'll do him right.

P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Looks like a common $25 cv.
And you don't need the ABS on the 90.
No biggie.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
On my 97 the ABS sensors go to the rough ride ECU.

You are such a lucky boy. On the damage I mentioned, I ultimately submitted a claim through PSD and the Navy paid it, albeit three years later. I have been across to three different continents and every time damaged goods, total BS with the claims.. When we moved to Switzerland, we decided to put everything in storage rather than go through two moves and the associated trashing of everything. Allied's warehouse burned to the ground, we got .15 a pound, they forgot to put on additional insurance. Ultimately it was proved to be arson, Allied burned it themselves, a few went to prison, we still only got .15 a pound. I had North American do the last move, with all their fancy codes we got nada. When I went to Kenya I just rented a fully furnished, staffed house and kept the one in the US, did the same in Australia. I don't move stuff unless I have to anymore and I will self move next time. I can hire all the grunt labor, buy the packing wholesale and move a container for a fraction of what the movers charge and their BS coverage.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Good info, thanks guys.

The Army does full replacement value so Im going to get a new set of Ashcroft HDs out of this...

Ive never had an issue with reimbursement, including damage and outright loss of big ticket items for my moves. Knock on wood....

These are RT HD axles by the way.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
That is fraud. The shaft isn't damaged, all you you should put in for is a stock CV. The fact that it is loose would mean its a trail spare, and if you pop a CV you've already got a code issue.

Hell if you are that concerned about it, I'll trade you for one that isn't nicked. In the end that's a better deal that trading your integrity.

-Jeff
Heard that, but he did say these were RT HD axles. They are damaged and the replacement would be the same price, so he's really not doing anything fraudulent.

Or insurance could pay labor to fix them.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
But there is nothing wrong with the axles. The CV has a nick in it. So get a new CV.

-Jeff
Definitely, but can you still get one from RT?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:12 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
That's what I was saying-looks like a common $25 cv.
That does not look like the RT/Longfield cv.

Axle could be RT but there is no damage there.

Rent my
!
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:45 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Fraud would mean that I actually know that I could replace/fix this item for $25 and posting about potential fraud would be a bit retarded on my part wouldn't it? .

On a serious note, I have no idea if these are HD CVs or not, or if the outer spline as a part of that outer CV cage is a RT HD part as well.

I wouldn't mind reimbursement for just this side, but I believe they are only sold in pairs. And if this CV can be replaced to as new, then I would ask for reimbursement for that only.

Im not about to take more time out of my already ridiculous schedule to track down a fix for this. I have no idea how some of the active duty service members on here have time for anything.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
well then its not honest.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:36 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I purchased these from a forum member along with the rear shafts and a bunch of other drivetrain parts. Shafts were claimed to be RT HD shafts. Said forum member is a highly respected member with much more wrenching and Rover experience than I.

So, Army moves my crap. Army's agent damages my CV. CV is a part of the outer stub. From my very limited knowledge, I assume the outer stub is "HD," so replacing it with a $25 part defeats the purpose of "HD," hence my claim against the Army for the entire shaft. But I can't buy just one shaft. And it appears RT is or isn't in business? Or are my "HD" RT shafts really not "HD" at all, so said respected forum member is not correct? Or are just the inner shafts "HD?".

I will disclose every bit of this as I normally do during the claims process and report back to those thinking otherwise, just for goodness sakes. Im an active duty Infantry Officer type and not in the habit of making false claims against the organization Ive put my heart and soul into for the last 8 plus years...

I really do appreciate the advice on the issue at hand though. If I find conclusive evidence, (Keith tells me direct) that the outer stub/CV is not HD, then I will claim actual replacement value of the replacement CV/Outer Stub.
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post

So, Army moves my crap. Army's agent damages my CV. CV is a part of the outer stub. From my very limited knowledge, I assume the outer stub is "HD," so replacing it with a $25 part defeats the purpose of "HD," hence my claim against the Army for the entire shaft. But I can't buy just one shaft. And it appears RT is or isn't in business? Or are my "HD" RT shafts really not "HD" at all, so said respected forum member is not correct? Or are just the inner shafts "HD?"..
Sam,
That looks to be a common Land Rover cv joint/outer stub.
And from the one picture provided the inner axle looks stock, too.
I have RT inner axles and they are not "waisted" like yours pictured.
But, let's see better pictures of the cv and inner axle.

And yes, RT is gone.

Rent my
!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions