daily driver advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

daily driver advice

hey guys i have a few questions. i use my 84 90 as a daily drivers right now it has a 2.5 NA diesel in it.
i want to not have to worry about it if i want to take it on a 300 mile trip. i have put alot of money into it already the truck almost has 220,000 miles on it. and i understand it is a 26 year old truck and it might always have problems but i want to know some ideas on what to do to make this thing ready to roll. i was thinking about buying a 200 tdi and rebuilding the turbo and upper end and what not and throwing it in there. because i want to be able to keep up at high speeds and have a little more power. also this is my only truck right now so doing a whole resto is out of the question my frame and body and brakes and running gear are alllll great. so it is a matter of engine/tranny reliability, and little creature comforts any suggestions please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2011, 10:21 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

Hey Dylan,
It takes some time to get to know a new vehicle, especially at the age ours are. How does it run day to day?
How many miles have you put on it? Your longest trip to date? Do you suspect something is up with the tranny or transfer case? Mine had intermittent starting issues, wrapped the exhaust manifold and starter in heat shield then finally replaced the positive battery cable with a shorter length and heavier gauge(after replacing the battery with a group 31, to no avail) and it starts reliably now. I've put just over 5000 miles on it since June, starting to trust it *knocks on wood* How are your seats? any insulated mats inside to cut down on some noise? do you have a center cubby? I need to pick up a Tuffy. Other than speed, engine ok, you had an issue that you sorted out right? How'd it look while you were in there? Going to compliment mine with a toyota or honda in the near future so as to be able to take more time to work on things. It's tough without a second vehicle at my disposal.
Gene
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:34 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

the truck runs fine day to day right now the radiator is a little leaky right now but i have a brand new replacement sitting my garage waiting to go in. i have put probably close to 1500 miles on it. my longest trip right now is only around 50 miles. trying to stay local. i just replaced my clutch with a HD one, i believe the 2nd gear synchro might go. it does a tiny tiny tiny grind going into gear whenever it feels like it. the transfer case is fine weeps a bit but is fine. my seats are fine i might buy the RN's heated seat kit. no insulation or anything in the truck no headliner either, i have a tuffy center console and love it. i have had a problem with the engine with the timing belt so i replaced the timing belt, front crank seal, push rods. when i was in there it looked pretty clean. but when i start the truck i get smoke. not for long but its greyish smoke. not sure if it is a worn valve guide or something. the truck is great right now with the exception of the leaky radiator which i have the replacement. the smoky start up also it runs a wee bit hotter over op temp when i am driving 50mph for around 20 mins. not sure if it is because it needs its new radiator? or if it normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

It's hard to know on the engine. Might be fine for another 100k, might crap out on you tomorrow.
Your idea of a 200Tdi (or even a 300) isn't a bad idea, but if you do that I'd probably go through the whole thing, rather than just the head and turbo since it's your only vehicle. But that could be decided with a compression test, oil pressure test and inspecting the cylinders when the head it off and checking main journal bearing clearances.
Depending how much you want to spend on updating it you might also consider a suffix L R380 at the same time.

Having spent quite a few winters in VT in Series Rovers I know it can get a bit chilly in the winter in them. As mentioned some matting would help. Also a big help, even in my Lightweight, was fitting a curtain right behind the front seats to retain the heat a in the driving area.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

that is what i would do to vary on rebuilding the lower end aswell i would do a compression test and what not, right now i am looking into dynamat. thanks for your imput!
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:04 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Interesting about the temerature, years ago I had a 2.5 NA and it always ran dead in the middle and moved towards the high side climbing a long hill (never overheating). Turners rebuilt the engine with a different T/stat and from then on it ran between cold and normal moving to the middle on a long hill. If you get a 200tdi personally I would focus on the timing belt and water pump and studs. Turbos are not usually that toublesome. My 86 with the 2.5 NA and LT77 started jumping out of 2nd, it ran for ages like that just a pain on the odd steep hill.
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

well my engine doesnt run dead in the middle it runs a hair before it. i thought it was running "hot" maybe it is just running fine. if i do pick up a 200 tdi i will most likely rebuilt everything except the lower end unless it needs attention. just for peace of mind i want to know there will be nothing that can go wrong with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions