Defender Source Forum banner

D90 won't start!

Tags
90 d90 start
11K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Mike Hippert 
#1 · (Edited)
D-90 wont start

thanks to yall's help I almost think I have this thing figured out. Ordered some fuel pump relays so hopefully that will work. once again thanks to all the contributed.

#6 ·
d90 Won't start- please help!

hey everyone,
Here's the deal with my truck this week. I start it this morning no problem- then it shuts off maybe 5 seconds later. It restarts without any problem and off I go. Park it at my first stop and when I try to restart it the same thing happens. Only this time it doesn't restart. It's turning over and once in a while it will act like it's going to start, so i give it gas and it dies. I unplugged the ecu to reset it- to no avail. Disconnected the neg terminal to no avail. The fuel pump fuse wasn't blown- the relays are new. I also have a new coil so I don't think that's the problem. It's dark now so I can't tell if it's getting gas- but I can smell it. As for spark- I'm going to find out in the morning. It's not doing anything anymore but cranking- not even acting like it's going to start. Can anyone give me some ideas- or maybe similar experiences?
thanks
brian bertolini

#8 ·
D90 won't start

I bought this truck about three months ago. For about the last six weeks I've had trouble getting it started. I'm not much of a mechanic so it's been dealt with at the local dealership.
It turns over and will crank and crank but not fire. Sometimes you can try it again and it will start but still reluctantly. So far we've replaced the ignition module, fuel pump and all of the wiring to the fuel pump and it's still doing it. I've just ordered a water temperature sensor but it's been suggested that since my plugs aren't soaked when I pull them out after cranking that that's not going to be it. Any help?

#12 ·
The check engine light is on now but it's just come on in the last few days. The truck usually starts eventually. It just takes a lot of cranking to get it to fire. Once started it seems to run okay.
I did just have a 60,000 mile service and all of this started just a few days after that?

#15 ·
Check out the FAQ section. There is a cover over the display, it is in the passenger side foot area by the door. The cover has 2 screws on it. The display will have a # displayed the FAQ section has a list of what the codes are. What the heck here is ashortcut .:grin

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
She wouldn't start up today. When I turn the ignition on it will crank (or run) but won't fire and start up. Since I bought this truck in Aug it has almost never started right up when cold. It routinely runs for several seconds before firing and starting up. On the handful of occassions when it hasn't fired and started at all, I then turn off the ignition, fully depress gas pedal and repeat process (per owner's manual) and this has always worked. Until today. Fuel filter was replaced in Aug.
Any thoughts are welcomed.

[This post has been merged]

#18 ·
Just to update on my problem - this might be useful to others. I took my rig to a local shop and they found I had both spark and fuel. The problem was too much fuel and not quite enough spark. They told me there is a LR bulletin about this problem and there is a computer update available (ecm prom). The update addresses the problem of the fuel injectors releasing too much fuel on cold start up. There are also several minor things LR recommends including upgrading to thicker battery cables and using 5w-30 motor oil. It looks like this will be a relatively easy fix of a new ignition coil, ecm prom, and and oil change.

#20 ·
Michael Green of WCB agrees. Here is what he said.

That's Eric (no doubt) at LRNA (if he's still employeed! lol)... 5/30 is far too thin for a D90 version (95 backwards) due to low psi pump. They need thicker oil. In the winter (cold) you can use such ... see owners manual. But in summer heat have to change to 5/50 or 20/50w for max performance and engine life.

#21 ·
5w30 seems a little "lite"

Been running Castrol full synthetic 5W30 for several years in two different D90's with no problems (so far).:confused

#22 ·
FWIW,

Here is the response from Mike Hippert for the sump oil chart from the owners manual that I posted a few weeks ago....

"And the Book says, 6.5 quarts for the oil sump

5W/30 -22 to 90
5W/40 -22 to 122
10W/30 -4 to 90
10W/40 -4 to 122
15w/40 14 to 122
20W/40 32 to 122
25W/40 60 to 122"

Right now in Boston, MA it's a balmy 18 degrees :cool: with nighttime temps for the rest of the week in the single digits. So I use 5w/30 in the winter and 10w/40 or 20W/40 in the summer.

Eric

#23 ·
I got my truck back from the shop yesterday and the difference is dramatic. Not only does it fire immediately and start right up on cold starts, but the stumble on acceleration around 2200 rpm is gone. I highly recommend the $13 ecm prom for anyone with these issues. (Also put in a new ignition coil).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.