d90 wont start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

d90 wont start

My 95 D 90 ST has been running very well up until this morning when for whatever reason it will not turn over.
It has been raining in Houston Tx for the past week off and on and the D 90 is not covered(too tall for garage).
Both floor boards are wet, the fuel fuse is good, the distributor was dry, sounds like the fuel pump is coming on and the check engine light goes on then off, but that is about my extent of knoweledge on what to check.

I saw in one thread, Ron says to "check the computer!" Where is the computer and how do i get to it? and where are the relays to check? Please HELP!!! my 2 year old son wont let me pick him up anymore from day care in the family minivan because he loves the D90.....He loves it more than me I think.

Thankyou,
Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Does it try to turn over... starter spinning?

Or do you turn the key and all you get is fuel pump/accessories/lights?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

if the check engine light is doing that, and the fuel pump is working, chances are the computer is fine. However, just to make sure that it's not wet, it's located in the compartment under your passenger seat. The relays will be next to it.

I'd start with the basics. Check that there is spark at the plugs and look for corrosion on the ignition coil contacts. Normally a computer problem will give other obvious symptoms. But the ignition is a totally separate system, and doesn't have a single diagnostic piece anywhere in it. My guess is either you have no spark, or the fuel injection computer isn't getting a signal from the ignition coil.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Ignition coil? my d90 was doing that every so often, particularly after not starting it for a few days. Seems to be better since changed coil with a Bosch. Plus the older one was bleeding too.
I've also heard that a start sensor, don't really remember which can cause that. Basically, it was explained to me that the sensor is sending wrong info to computer and in return it's telling injectors to send less fuel..... not sure if that makes sense.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

It is cranking strong, it just won't turn over. I can turn the key for 30 seconds at a time and it just keeps cranking but won't turn over and start! I guess to get to the computer, do I have to remove the passenger seat?

Follow-up Post:

ok, so I got the seat out and opened up the passengers side floor box to expose the Electronic ingnition control unit (EICU)and the the two silver relays! The silver relays were dry but there is water on the floor board under the EICU. I dried up the water but should I unplug the EICU and remove it from vehicle to dry it some way? How should I dry it?
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:26 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Silver relays are to your fuel pump, so if you hear it turning on then those are good. was it real wet in there?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Remove computer. Shake. See if water comes out. If wet, install replacement computer (see for sale section for 3.9 computer out of a disco or RRC -- call Mike at LR West Chester and get two spare silver relays and call Will T. at roverguy.com and get a spare ignition module too). To dry, remove little torx bolts and take off cover and shake out water. Maybe blow dry with air in a can. Look for corrosion. Find out how water got into the seat box. This is normally only an issue on the 1994s where the computer is on the bulkhead under the vents (DOH!) so they moved it to under the seat.
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

Not too wet but there was a bit water, the water is dripping in through the window wether stripping, hitting the seat platform and draining backwards towards the truck bed. The water is catching on a lip and flowing down behind the metal cover and into the area where the computer is. I'm gonna go try to remove it and dry it out now! Thanks, I'll let u know what happens!
Thanks everyone!!
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If not the computer, then the ignition module for sure.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

Help

The EICU is not wet neither are the silver things, any ideas on what I should check next
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ignition module either on the distributor or near the coil.

Go back to one of my old posts and run down the list of things to check ie spark, fuel etc.
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
fuel filter, plug wires?
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

how do i check the ignition module?
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Instead of testing the ignition module, it's probably easier to just test for spark in general. Pull off the #1 plug wire off of the spark plug, pull back the rubber boot, and hold the exposed metal connector about an eighth of an inch from the engine block. Have somebody else crank the engine for you, should have a nice, bright, blue, loud spark in that gap.

If you have such a spark, then your entire distributor is working fine, as is the ignition coil and we need to look in another area. If you don't have any spark, or if the spark is weak and yellow, then you need to diagnose the distributor further.

Also, there is a white/black wire on the ignition coil that runs back to the firewall. Make sure the connection between it and the coil is in good shape. This is the RPM signal back to the fuel injection computer. Phil, this is probably what the guy meant by a start sensor.

And just to throw this generic question out there. Work on anything else on the truck recently prior to this issue?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:15 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

Smile In holding, as it's been raining for 48 hrs

I have not had any work done on the truck lately but I just had it inspected and they had the hood up, the d90 had the cleanest emissions test that the mechanic had ever seen and the car ran fine! Although I did Almost run out of gas the engine almost stalled but didn't and I let it sit for a few seconds at idle then I was able to slowly pull in to the gas station.

I bought a car cover and I put it on tonight in the misting rain. I am hopeng it will dry out!
Ill update my progress with the spark test tomorrow!
Thanks For all the suggestions
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

it started on its own

So after having the truck covered allnight and all day today, I went out to do the spark test and a couple other suggestions that everyone had. But before I did i said"what the heck, why not try it again and just see if it will start". so I did and it did, START that is!

First crank took about 7 seconds and it sounded like it was clearing its throat out a bit, so I tried a second time and after about 5 seconds it turned over and idled. it hickuped a bit and its not running quite the same as a few days ago but it is running. seemed liked it smoked a bit more out the exhaust as well. but I took it around the block and it ran great!

It sounds like the belts are alittle loose today as I can kind of hear the belts slipping... I am not sure if it has to do with severe weather changes over the past few days. It snowed 4 days ago then it got warm and rained for 3 days and now its 75-80 degrees and muggy today.

thanks everybody for all the help trouble shooting......i still dont know what it was but at least it started. we will see if it starts tomorrow and this weekend.
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

My truck basically did the same thing

Alright I live in Dallas and my truck was having problems starting. Sometimes it would start but running in first and second gear it felt like something was wrong. Well I thought I was having a problem with a bad spark plug or possibly settling in my gas. Went to start it one day and it would not start at all and I killed my battery trying. Well someone suggesting checking the d-cap. After some ya whatevers I pulled the cap, took a hairdrier to it, put it back together and my truck fired on a weak battery. I then put two and two together and realized that the times when my truck would not start were usually after I had not driven it in a while. I had not driven it because it was bad weather. So if this helps then here you go.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:26 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

Question Thanks

So do you think that since the humidity is so high here in Houston that I'll have problems? Why the hell is a d cap so sensitive to weather and how can we fix the problem?
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

thanks Han, I will check that wire as well......
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Instead of testing the ignition module, it's probably easier to just test for spark in general. Pull off the #1 plug wire off of the spark plug, pull back the rubber boot, and hold the exposed metal connector about an eighth of an inch from the engine block. Have somebody else crank the engine for you, should have a nice, bright, blue, loud spark in that gap.

If you have such a spark, then your entire distributor is working fine, as is the ignition coil and we need to look in another area. If you don't have any spark, or if the spark is weak and yellow, then you need to diagnose the distributor further.

Also, there is a white/black wire on the ignition coil that runs back to the firewall. Make sure the connection between it and the coil is in good shape. This is the RPM signal back to the fuel injection computer. Phil, this is probably what the guy meant by a start sensor.

And just to throw this generic question out there. Work on anything else on the truck recently prior to this issue?

-Hans
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddef90
...Why the hell is a d cap so sensitive to weather and how can we fix the problem?...
12 hours since this question was asked and nary a single, witty "put a diesel in it" come-back? :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, start