d90 v8 no start issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 17th, 2015, 06:43 PM
AL Kilgore
Al Kilgore
90 defender v8
d90 v8 no start issues

I recently brought in a customers d90 v8 gas powered rover in to the shop. It had been sitting for a long while, a year or so , and I was given the go ahead to replace a bunch of parts , from brakes to suspension.
I installed a new battery , and tried to start the vehicle. It will not crank unless you keep the key in crank position. then after a few seconds it will crank, but still no start.
Went and checked for spark, None, fuel injection pulse, None. So I figured it must be ECM related. So I checked the main harness at the ecm, no problems there , clean, so then I figured to check the main relay. It was not enacting while cranking , I checked the wiring into the relay and looked like I was not getting a ground to close the relays.

This car has the alarm module under the dash board but I am not sure t its even working. Does anybody have an idea how to check this to see if its interrupting the signal for the relay box? or is there a way to bypass it ?

Im stuck on this now, I have replaced all the parts needed I just have to get it running.

Please guide me to a site or name of a good rover mechanic who can help.

thanks a bunch
Al Kilgore

Old September 18th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST
Al. I am no mechanic and others will have much more insight but this is my thought. Take off the steering column cover (Plastic) and reach inside the dash. Behind the ignition key tumbler assembly there is a plastic cylinder. Stick a finger back there and pull it towards the key, and try to start it. I have had two of those ignition switches fail and it did exactly what you are describing.

After thinking about this some more, I started thinking about this from the perspective of easiest to hardest. If the ignition switch is good, then I wonder if it is the ignition control module, which is the little plastic thingamahopper next to the coil. From there I am past my guesses.

Old September 18th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
You should be able to bypass an immobilizer circuit by removing the battery +ve ... turning the key to run position. Connecting the battery backup and then turning to crank. At least that used to work on my motorbike.

But first check this

Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90, start, v8