D90 Troubleshooting Questions for a Humble Newb - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Arrow D90 Troubleshooting Questions for a Humble Newb

Greetings Gents,

Seasoned auto enthusiast, but new LR owner. Some of you may recall that I just purchased a 95' D90 ST a few months ago with 145k miles on the clock. She lived her entire life in the South (until now) and as a result, she's in terrific condition aesthetically- one or two small rust spots.
Mechanically speaking, I'm very pleased with the condition the truck with two exceptions:

#1. On start-up, the starter turns perfectly with no hesitation, but it typically takes a 4-mississippi count before she turns over. Any ideas what this might be? Spark plugs? Distributor? Wires?

#2. The R380 shifts great- very smooth and nice, solid feel. However, there is a loud "thunk" upon clutch release with nearly every gear. It's almost as though the transmission mounts are worn? Any ideas on what this might be, and what you'd recommend I do to fix it?

I'm absolutely in LOVE with this truck, and although I had strongly considered the purchase of an 84' D110 w/300TDI (2006 Spec) import model, I'm completely content and satisfied with my D90. It's the better truck for the money, and although I'd call the D110 more "useable" due to the extra room, the D90 w/hard-top certainly ain't bad, plus it'll be great to have the top off during Spring/Fall.

Thanks for all of your help here; I hope to be have something to contribute here in the near future...!

[Not worthy....Not worthy!!]

-R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:01 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

1. check them if it runs fine, it's could be fuel filter or early failure of fuel pump

2. check driveshafts.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
1. check them if it runs fine, it's could be fuel filter or early failure of fuel pump

2. check driveshafts.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll bet you're right about the fuel pump- no records of it ever being replaced, and with 145k miles, I'm sure it's about time. The truck runs great otherwise (idle/mid-throttle/transient). I plan on replacing ALL fluids and filters within the next few weeks; that should help to narrow the issue down. Anything screwy about replacing a fuel pump on this thing?

What am I looking for on the driveshafts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Sounds like my problem as well. Just heard from my mechanic and he said the U-joints were worn out on the drive shaft and it needed to be replaced. We are playing phone tag, but I will post more when I find out...
phoenix37 -> If only it were that easy...
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

It's easy to check the driveshafts. Put your 90 in netural and see if there is any play at the universal joint (shake) at each end. It the joints need replacing they will be loose.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
It's easy to check the driveshafts. Put your 90 in netural and see if there is any play at the universal joint (shake) at each end. It the joints need replacing they will be loose.
I'll give this a shot today- thanks. I see you're in the neighborhood. Where do you take your 90 in for service? Roverland?? I'm new to the area having just moved from San Diego, and I'm shopping for an Indy service provider.

JRW- interested in your findings with the U-joints; this may be part of my issue as well.
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My R380 is far from smooth and nice. 2nd gear especially can be very hard to shift into and it "clunks" more than any other gear. Is that a U-joint issue as well?

Quote:
#2. The R380 shifts great- very smooth and nice, solid feel. However, there is a loud "thunk" upon clutch release with nearly every gear. It's almost as though the transmission mounts are worn? Any ideas on what this might be, and what you'd recommend I do to fix it?
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
I'll give this a shot today- thanks. I see you're in the neighborhood. Where do you take your 90 in for service? Roverland?? I'm new to the area having just moved from San Diego, and I'm shopping for an Indy service provider.

JRW- interested in your findings with the U-joints; this may be part of my issue as well.

You're looking at him. I haven't brought it into a shop in quite some time. I looked into bringing it into Roversland a few years ago when they first opened until I found out the old service manager from LR Alex was working there (i think his name is Will). I never got along w/ that guy and he cost me a few grand in repairs on my P38 that weren't necessary. Long story short i've been doing all my repairs since. Let me know if you need a hand and i'll be glad to help when i can.

------ Follow up post added January 17th, 2011 06:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
My R380 is far from smooth and nice. 2nd gear especially can be very hard to shift into and it "clunks" more than any other gear. Is that a U-joint issue as well?
The clunk could be a u joint but since its tough to shift I suspect its internal (but i'd check the u joint anyway, may fix 1 of the problems). Depending how tough it is to shift you may want to renew the trans fluid and see if that helps. Just make sure you use ATF not 90w.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I replaced it not too long ago and it got better for a day or two. Now its back to "normal". I will check the joints.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Im a newbie to my d90 also, but it starts the same way. Turn key, engine turns a few times (for 2-5seconds), then it fires up. I have paperwork for new distributor, plugs, wires, coil pack. The previous owner said it always did this. It doesnt bother me because it starts. I feel as if it is a fuel to rail problem (not priming fast enough) or fuel-spark, but I have no intention of troubleshooting at this point.
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
[QUOTE=lordhelemt;260834]You're looking at him. I haven't brought it into a shop in quite some time. I looked into bringing it into Roversland a few years ago when they first opened until I found out the old service manager from LR Alex was working there (i think his name is Will). I never got along w/ that guy and he cost me a few grand in repairs on my P38 that weren't necessary. Long story short i've been doing all my repairs since. Let me know if you need a hand and i'll be glad to help when i can.

------ Follow up post added January 17th, 2011 06:35 PM ------

Paul- I've heard nothing but negatives about LR Alexandria since I got here. Have yet to hear any reviews at all about Roverland, but I've spoken to them a few times over the phone, and they sound like they have more business than they're interested in.
That said, these trucks don't appear to be overly complicated to work on, but I could sure use a hand from someone who knows their way around one. Thanks for your offer- might just take you up on it.

Ross

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90