D90 Suspension Upgrades? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Inkopah_D90
Tod Swank

D90 Suspension Upgrades?

Hello. Thanks in advance for your assistance. I have a 1997 D90 that I got new (#1441) and it is all good. I am not into super mods and like the truck in it's stock state though I did put a supercharger on it that really gave it some needed umph. I recently got some Nato rims and interco tires which are sweet. I have about 50K miles on it. I drive daily to work 5 miles and take it out to Borrego (San Diego) for some not too extreme trail driving and hill climbing.

My question is that I am wondering if it is time to upgrade my suspension due to wear. The ride is kinda rolly polly and it seems like I have significant body roll more than ever which is kinda scary sometimes. I don't want to lift the truck. Just have a plan of improvements. I talked to Atlantic British (pretty spotty customer service) and they suggested to start bilstin strut kit. Is that a good starting point? They also have Old Man Emu? Other brands and why or are the Bilstins a good choice. Are springs something to consider? Recommended brands? What would be next, sway bars? Urethane grommets?

Also when do you replace the steering dampner and why?

Thanks for your input. Tod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I talked to Atlantic British (pretty spotty customer service) and they suggested to start bilstin strut kit.
Bilstiens will firm up your ride considerably. They are fine shocks and if your not lifting your truck they would be a very intelligent choice. They are just great shocks.

Is that a good starting point? They also have Old Man Emu?
OME shocks require OME springs. So these are not a good idea. They also are much softer ride than the bilstiens so they might enhance the roly poly feel as well.

Are springs something to consider? Recommended brands?
Usually you'll see sag if the springs are gone. Check to make sure your truck has the proper level stance. If your replacing shocks, you may also want to replace the springs as well. LR stock springs are fine for no lift and light off roading. I have the LR HD springs and they work well with trail riding, a winch bumper and winch.

What would be next, sway bars? Urethane grommets?
You should have sway bars if it is an NAS d-90. They were stock. I personally don't like the poly bushings. From my research, they tend to wear faster and snap or otherwise break as opposed to the LR rubber.

Also when do you replace the steering dampner and why?
replace it with the shocks, if your doing them. Most places sell them in a kit form.

I would suggest taking the truck into a good mech (with LR experience) and have them go over the suspension components and bushings. See if anything is worn and then order up the replacements as needed. I would not suggest having the dealer touch this job as they would rape you. Consider new shocks and anti-roll bars first.

EwS
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Wolf_4x4
Alessandro
1996 D90 300Tdi

Hello! I'm italian and I have a 1996 D90 300Tdi , I can read your language but I'm not so good in writing it, so excuse me for it.

What do you think of Rancho 9000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_4x4
Hello! I'm italian and I have a 1996 D90 300Tdi , I can read your language but I'm not so good in writing it, so excuse me for it.

What do you think of Rancho 9000?
Personally I'm so/so. I broke the mounting stud off of 2 of them, but other then that they work out OK, They don't last as long as I would like but I am kind of ruff on shocks. I think most like OME over rancho. What are you looking to do, offroad, or street? Oh yeah, your don't worry about your english, it can't be any worse then mine .
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Wolf_4x4
Alessandro
1996 D90 300Tdi

Thanks, I had them on a Pajero/Montero and seems not bad. I have threated them very roughly in street and offroad but for 1 year only, I don't know how they are in a long time use, and on the D90 I'll equip two winches
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_4x4
Thanks, I had them on a Pajero/Montero and seems not bad. I have threated them very roughly in street and offroad but for 1 year only, I don't know how they are in a long time use, and on the D90 I'll equip two winches
Well then lets see some pictures! Post them in this thread http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2072.

Old June 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Wolf_4x4
Alessandro
1996 D90 300Tdi

ok I'll post some when the job is done

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90