D90 steering box options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

D90 steering box options

What other steering box will fit a 97 D90?
Id prefer one that fit in the stock location vs one that mounts on the outside of the frame.
Are all the boxes the same diameter, size etc?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Bump.......And are the 94/95 D90 boxes the same as the 97's?? What about the D1 and D2's relative to the D90's??
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

None. Zip. Not even close as far as I could find.

What are you after?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
clearance between the frame and his big motor afaik.
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
clearance between the frame and his big motor afaik.
Thats a tough one. There isn't an easy solution if he needs more room in there. Full hydro, but I doubt he wants that. Only other option is outside the frame rail or modifying the frame. It can all be done, just not without a good amount of work.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
DD90
DD
94 D90

I want to do a hydro assist similar to Buck.

Gave an email into West Texas....they either can drill your box and/or refurbish it. Don't know if they "upgrade" it in any way beyond that. Still the stock box.

Plan on PSC pump to take up slack of OEM pump.
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD90
I want to do a hydro assist similar to Buck.

Gave an email into West Texas....they either can drill your box and/or refurbish it. Don't know if they "upgrade" it in any way beyond that. Still the stock box.

Plan on PSC pump to take up slack of OEM pump.
If you do end up doing that, very soon I will be selling my Hydro assist ram, and rover box already ported with everything included. It will be up for sale by the end of the month / early January. I will also have both axles up for sale too. I am working on a write up in the for sale section now.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
DD90
DD
94 D90

Obligatiry question....are you going full hydro now?? Holy hell!!!!
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD90
Obligatiry question....are you going full hydro now?? Holy hell!!!!
You know it playah!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

You cant run full hydro on a street truck can you? I guess the Mini has something like that though doesnt it?
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverC
You cant run full hydro on a street truck can you? I guess the Mini has something like that though doesnt it?
I don't know about individual state law, but contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal. BUT, it has a unique set of problems to overcome and I don't think rover outers can survive full hydro unless you set it up absolutely perfect where it would never oversteer the knuckles. 6000LB of force is a lot.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Well the axles will be PortalTeks..... but not right away.
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Full hydro isn't for the street; I drove mine down 191 in Moab and it was far scarier than any trail I did all week and I was only going about 45-50mph.
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Well the axles will be PortalTeks..... but not right away.
Very cool!!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Full hydro isn't for the street; I drove mine down 191 in Moab and it was far scarier than any trail I did all week and I was only going about 45-50mph.
Are you chasing any bugs? I have driven sand buggies with full hydro that work perfectly at high speed. Although a single ended ram does have some wierdness to it. If the orbital valve is set properly for high speed and the pump is correct, it shouldn't be an issue.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Not to change the subject, but Rob at PT said if I can get 25 orders together for axles, they will make a 1.5:1 ratio box!
I need to put a post together and will need suggestions where best to post it besides here.
I think the street driven rigs will love them.
They can use a 2.47 r&p which would yield a 3.7 ratio using a 1.5:1 portal box.
That would be perfect for those not running huge tires or driving it on the street.
Since I drive mine from FL to UT and back, that would put me at 2000 rpm at highway speeds w/ 35" tires. I have a 4.08 first, plus an Ashcroft underdrive, so low ranges are covered. My 6 speed auto has .67 OD, but still need a 3.7 range final to keep the revs down.
If it turned out that was too high a gear, then there are other r&p to swap to. As it is now, the highest ratio you can get is a 5.08 using their 2:1 boxes.
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Not to change the subject, but Rob at PT said if I can get 25 orders together for axles, they will make a 1.5:1 ratio box!
I need to put a post together and will need suggestions where best to post it besides here.
I think the street driven rigs will love them.
They can use a 2.47 r&p which would yield a 3.7 ratio using a 1.5:1 portal box.
That would be perfect for those not running huge tires or driving it on the street.
Since I drive mine from FL to UT and back, that would put me at 2000 rpm at highway speeds w/ 35" tires. I have a 4.08 first, plus an Ashcroft underdrive, so low ranges are covered. My 6 speed auto has .67 OD, but still need a 3.7 range final to keep the revs down.
If it turned out that was too high a gear, then there are other r&p to swap to. As it is now, the highest ratio you can get is a 5.08 using their 2:1 boxes.
I love what your trying to do. I think you should start a thread with all the details and get feedback and maybe find some people interested!

There are a few issues that I can see that maybe you should think about. The first is that going with higher portal gears will increase the stress on the outers. Maybe not an issue but something to think about, as even 404 mogs have their weak point out at the box. Also, 9in R+P's, unlike normal ones, get weaker as they get higher. Meaning that your going to be as weak as it gets at 2.47. Once again, maybe not an issue at all, but worth talking about.

I would look into the math of running a RR t-case with a 1.06to1 high range and see if that makes the math work. You could also adapt an atlas to the motor one way or another and solve all of your issues. Any gear ratio you want and even get rid of the underdrive. All depends on how much money you want to spend. Just food for thought. Keep us all updated!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:30 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Very cool!!

Follow-up Post:

Are you chasing any bugs? I have driven sand buggies with full hydro that work perfectly at high speed. Although a single ended ram does have some wierdness to it. If the orbital valve is set properly for high speed and the pump is correct, it shouldn't be an issue.
Not to hijack...it is a SE ram and is designed to work correctly. It is fine at speed on dirt or off road but every hydro system I've ever driven had a bit of oversteer as RPMs increase. Heading down a dirt road and you catch a rut and wander a bit is no problem but when you are flying down the highway and you react too quickly it can create a dangerous situation on grippy asphalt. Just my experience and my opinion; my car was never build to run on the road either so this is merely a thought for Cliff to consider and I still stand by the fact that I don't think you need any kind of hydro assist for 35s.
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Not to hijack...it is a SE ram and is designed to work correctly. It is fine at speed on dirt or off road but every hydro system I've ever driven had a bit of oversteer as RPMs increase. Heading down a dirt road and you catch a rut and wander a bit is no problem but when you are flying down the highway and you react too quickly it can create a dangerous situation on grippy asphalt. Just my experience and my opinion; my car was never build to run on the road either so this is merely a thought for Cliff to consider and I still stand by the fact that I don't think you need any kind of hydro assist for 35s.
I don't disagree with anything you said. And I don't really know much about full hydro. I do know that when talking to Lance at PSC he had to get me a specific orbital valve and pump mods for the KOH high speed sections. So I am guessing that it makes a difference how the pump and OV is set up for rocks vs high rev sections.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Lance actually told me that I dont want full hydro for a street vehicle. You "could" but dont really want to go that route.

As to my setup, I had Ashcroft make me a LT230 w/ 1.00:1 ratio custom, so high range is about as good as it gets.
I am also trying to keep the shifter in its stock location, and right now its only back about 1" from stock. So a bracket and linkage mods wont be much to do.

With this 6 speed auto, I am trying to keep it close to the overall gearing that the ESV came with as it has it own ecu and no one has any type of mods for it yet.
It had like a 3.42 gear and 31" tires. 3.70 and 35" tires is pretty close.

I spoke at length w/ PT and they know what my truck should weigh, the engine, power output etc etc and claims there will be no problems at all with strength.
Not like I race the truck or jump it or do hardcore rockcrawling.

I am just trying to balance it so that while its 90% street/highway driven it will be great, and when I do local mud/water I can clear cypress knees, submerged logs, and those damn ruts made by full size trucks running 44" tires! Same for out west. Do most of the hard trails, and if I cant, then use the winch.

Pretty stock I did alot in and around Moab. CO, WY, AZ, MT, NM with no issues other than frame ht. Most of my getting stuck or unable to do a trail has been here in the south.
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Lance actually told me that I dont want full hydro for a street vehicle. You "could" but dont really want to go that route.
I totally agree with that.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90