Defender Source Forum banner

D90 Starts Slowly. Any ideas?

Tags
90 d90 start
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cdnpaul 
#1 ·
For some reason my truck usually turns over very slowly. Sometimes it turns over so slowly that I'm sure it won't start but every time it eventually does. I've checked the obvious like battery and alternator but have yet to identify this problem. Any ideas?

#5 ·
Thanks for your ideas!

The electrical seems fine so I'm going to get look into the starter since that seems cost effective.

It gets pretty cold here, especially with a Tickford top, but I don't think I'll need to worry about the oil since I park in the garage.

#6 ·
Paul, My D-90 has a Bosch starter, and the local rebuilding shop had the brushes and ring gear in stock. The brushes are spot welded to the back plate, but can be soldered back on provided you prep them good (clean & flux). I have heard there were two or three different starters used. It was a bitch getting it off for me, but hopefully, you wont encounter the same. Good luck!
Jeff

#7 ·
My 94 had the same symptoms before the starter went out. Rebuild shops wanted as much to rebuild it as to just buy a new one. Mine came off pretty easy and was a sinch to replace. A rebuilt starter w/ lifetime warranty from autozone was $200+. But, now it starts up like a champ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.