D90 starting issues - could it be Snorkel related? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

D90 starting issues - could it be Snorkel related?

So this past Spring I installed a new Mantec snorkel kit on my 97 D90.
Installed as per the instructions.
When I installed it I had no issues and the truck started right up.

Now that it's colder here in New England the D90 starts real sluggish.
The truck does turn over - but barely.
The dual batteries are about two years old.

Note that the D90 is garaged and heated to around 50 degrees and I am concerned that if I attempt to start it outside the garage in colder temps <50 it may not start.
Note also that the D90 is not driven much in the winter time - but I do move it out of the garge into the driveway every few weeks or so.

Could the sluggish start be related to the snorkel?
I guess I could disconnect the snorkel and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Paul,
The snorkle wouldn't have anything to do with the starter not spining the engine fast. Sounds like the battery is dying or the brushes in the starter are toast.

Doug

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Why would air restriction slow the revolutions of the motor? If so why would it be temperature dependent.

This is like saying you have a headache because you bought new shoes six months ago.

I would check the quality of the electical connections on your starter first. Then go from there.
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Why would air restriction slow the revolutions of the motor? If so why would it be temperature dependent.

This is like saying you have a headache because you bought new shoes six months ago.

I would check the quality of the electical connections on your starter first. Then go from there.
I disagree with your headache comment - but agree that it "could" be related to the starter or battery.

Note that I wrote Spring - but infact had a brain fart and actually installed the snorkel in the Fall (9/08).

The only reason I wrote "could it be Snorkel related" was due to the fact the Snorkel was installed just prior to any starting issues. Up until I installed the snorkel the truck has always started strong and the dual batteries are fairly new.

A week after installing the snorkel on a cold morning in late September I noticed the truck had sluggish start. I was just inquiring if it could be related or if it was just a coincidence...
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Sorry if my post came across too strong.

I know that many things seem to be coincidences but in this case I don't see the troubleshooting correlation. Think of it this way, if the air coming in would slow the engine then a carbed engine would not be able to have the choke applied and still start. Also colder air would be more dense and if the snorkle was restricting the air then the probelm would occur more in warmer weather if the problem was too little air entering the engine.

I had a P38a that needed a valley gasket, I did the job and could not get the damn truck to start after the work was completed. Same deal, could not get enough revs to start. I replaced the starter. Still no love. It turned out that the power steering pump had given up the ghost at the precise moment the vehicle was parked in my shop. What are the odds of that.

It made me look bad and it was a bear to find since it had not displayed any symptoms of failing that I was made aware of.

Something is not allowing the starter to turn fast enough to start the motor. That is the only place you can begin. Eliminate all of the possible causes until you find the problem.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

landrovered,
Thanks for the input - the search begins...
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Paul, I was having troubles too and it just ended up being a simple dead battery. I replaced like 3 started motors in the past so my obvious answer was the starter again, but ended up just being a very weak battery. simple quick way is let it sit all night in the cold and then in the morning hook it up to some jumper cables and turn it over. if it jumps quicker then it possibly is the battery.

If it still takes a while to start with the jumpers hooked up it could be your starter is going.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would start by checking the voltage out of your batteries. If it is low, you know you have a problem with either you batteries or the charging system. It could be a failing batter, or it could be a weak alternator etc.

If your voltage is good I would take apart your battery connections, clean them and tighten them and do the same at the starter...actually I would do this either way but...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, snorkel, start, starting