D90 Soft Top Stero system... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"
D90 Soft Top Stero system...

Hey there,

Seeing that the 90 will be 7 months topless, and year-round in the desert where the sand particles have no mercy, I was thinking of going with a standard marine stereo in the dash with a hidden single CD slot, all this to power the stock 4 speakers...

I want music, not an Orchestra, so quality may come second to purchasing ONCE and forall and washing with water being splashed when necessary...

Do you think by going with a marine rated unit would do the trick? if yes, any recommendations?

'92 Disco truggy (42"s, ZF, dual cases, ARBs, 30 splined, OMEs, Optimas, Warns, Bead-Locked)
'04 D-90 TD5 ST (33"s, tuned, caged, 1/2 top)
'84 Rangie 2 door classic (32"s, OME, ARB bar & M8000)
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Hmm, The marine stuff is normaly better because they coat the internal electronics with epoxy to protect it from water. I would guess that it would help with the sand/dust also. I actualy e-mailed JL and that is what they told me, but they did not suggest putting their amps under water. Right now in my 90 I have the crappy old radio that the PO installed. I have to take it apart and dry it and clean it every now and then but other then that it has done well. I think the part that helps the most is that it is in the Tuff box and is pretty well protected from water and sand/mud.

Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Marine radio is a nice way to go. My thinking is that sand WILL be an issue no mattter what. I am not sure hiding it in a Tuffy will work. I actually think that the center placement is an issue 'cause the radio head is either flat or at an angle so material can accumulate on it. Unless you are going to blow0on the radio each time you operate it, have you hought about the dash mount? Bit more protected and a much beter angle.

I havereached the point where I will not spend big $$$ on a radio as I think they are easily, cheaply replacable. same with speakers. I run marines in the rear where the top is off 6 month of the year.
Post what you do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90, soft top