D90 Security Question: Break in Deterrent Methods - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

D90 Security Question: Break in Deterrent Methods

Hi.

I was out in the Oregon woods on Sunday and I got my D90 broken into. They smashed two windows and took all my dry clothes, towel, wool blanket and a tool bag. I am determined to not have this happen again so I am taking a couple of measures to preventing that from happening. Does anyone have a set of new or used Window guards for sale? In addition to rear window guards I am planning to install Llumar Security Film on the front windows and windshield. I have also ordered a Raingler webbing net that I am installing behind the front seats as a further deterrent. I probably will get an alarm later on as well. Does anyone have experience with the Llumar Security Film or a similar product? Any other ideas or suggestions to further burglar proof my D90?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Two words, trunk monkey!
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Carl that sucks. Get an alarm with a motion sensor. I kept getting the side mirrors stolen off my porsche and this did the trick. The alarm will call your cellphone if set off and the remote will also sound an alarm if you are close enough to the vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Old April 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Get a dog.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

get a gun

Follow-up Post:

i have a soft-top. it sounds like you have a hard top? not sure if it will work for you but i got the raingler cargo nets as well and put one inside of each back window and along the inside of the back window as well. so if someone unzips the windows its still a project to reach thru or take off the netting. hopefully its enough to slow someone down and/or dissuade them in the first place.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The cool-kid solution are the window grills and cargo area organization stuff from Mantec. Unfortunately, it looks like they might have discontinued the organization stuff. Hmm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Come on, think about it...those flimsy locks are super easy to break. So, why invest in other stuff when you still have this problem.

You will not stop someone from getting into these trucks.

If they do get in, you can store your stuff in one of those lock-drawers on the rear cargo area. Not only do they have a low profile - so they're dificult to detect from outside - they are ruggedly built.

Also, maybe a super-loud interior alarm to blow out the thief's eardrum may be effective. Who wants to rummage around in there with his ear being blasted?

Finally, you can setup some sort of camera system to record the inside and/or outside of the truck once a break-in is detected. That way you may get some evidence that may be useful. I've seen this system somewhere online, on a super expensive car. I don't see this as probable for a Defender.

Again, you will not stop someone from getting into these trucks. Make them leave fast once they get in there.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Perimetral Alarm

Some you can record your own message ( like A@#hole back off before I shoot you ), factory comes with a warning ( settings go from 15ft to 2 ft before trigger siren ) like Alarm will sound if you don't back away.

I've had it in several vehicles ( topless ) and it work not only for thieves but for annoying roamers as well.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Two words, trunk monkey!
I would love to get a monkey or a dog to keep in the trunk. Unfortunately it is not an option for me.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Carl that sucks. Get an alarm with a motion sensor. I kept getting the side mirrors stolen off my porsche and this did the trick. The alarm will call your cellphone if set off and the remote will also sound an alarm if you are close enough to the vehicle
Do you have any name brand recommendations of good car alarms? Seems like there is a ton of generic crap out there.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What windows did they break? I have spare rear windows..
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
get a gun

Follow-up Post:

i have a soft-top. it sounds like you have a hard top? not sure if it will work for you but i got the raingler cargo nets as well and put one inside of each back window and along the inside of the back window as well. so if someone unzips the windows its still a project to reach thru or take off the netting. hopefully its enough to slow someone down and/or dissuade them in the first place.
I have a hard top. I did order a Raingler Cargo net. It will not prevent someone from getting back there from the front seat but it will certainly make it more complicated.
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
[
Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
The dealer installed a Clifford alarm in my car. You can probably go with a more inexpensive model than the one i have since you wont have to worry about power locks etc.
You will never stop them getting into your truck but if you lock up your stuff inside a tuffy and have an alarm you will have a better chance of them not walking off with anything important.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Take a look at this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...Q5fAccessories

Do an eBay search under "defender guards", there are several listings in the UK.

Dennis
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Had mine broken into a couple of times last few weeks. Only took some loose change and rummaged through the center console. Took an empty Buddy Holly cd case. Wonder why? The one thing that pissed me off was that they never closed the damn door after they were done.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Take a look at this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...Q5fAccessories

Do an eBay search under "defender guards", there are several listings in the UK.

Dennis

Yep, a real poseur job. Not only do you not solve the problem but you're screwing more holes in your body. They're sure to corrode in no time at all.

Jeez!
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

When i used to go out I'd always return to see hand prints all over the windows of my 90 so I did an experiment once, i went to my local surplus store and ordered a nazi flag then when it finally came I draped it over my cargo in the back, parked at the cammarillo outlet stores n sat watching from a distance. People were like oh look n walking up putting their hands over their eyes to get a better look only to turn away quickly saying "oh god"

Robert Deniro
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
What windows did they break? I have spare rear windows..
Thanks for the offer. I ordered new windows. My deductible is blown anyways so I might as well.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

We have free window replacement here in Mass. Perhaps you do as well???
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Yep, a real poseur job. Not only do you not solve the problem but you're screwing more holes in your body. They're sure to corrode in no time at all.

Jeez!
Actually I disagree.

That means that there are 5 less windows that can be smashed whether its a smash & grab or vandalism. I don't give a shit if I look like a poser or not. I don't know about your Defender but mine was a swiss cheese before I got hold of it so a couple more holes should not be a problem. A proper installation with washers and silicone and it will not corrode.

I agree that there is no way to stop anyone from getting in (actually there is, but it is obscenely expensive) but you can always make it more difficult for these idiots.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
We have free window replacement here in Mass. Perhaps you do as well???
What!?

What do you mean?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
When i used to go out I'd always return to see hand prints all over the windows of my 90 so I did an experiment once, i went to my local surplus store and ordered a nazi flag then when it finally came I draped it over my cargo in the back, parked at the cammarillo outlet stores n sat watching from a distance. People were like oh look n walking up putting their hands over their eyes to get a better look only to turn away quickly saying "oh god"
Thanks Neil for your rather unusual deterrent tip.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, ecu