D90. Runs then dies, and hesitates intermittently. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 14th, 2006, 11:23 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Unhappy D90. Runs then dies, and hesitates intermittently.

Hello everyone. New obviously =). I am having a bit of an issue and I am hoping one of you gurus may have an idea.

I have a 1994 Defender 90 Soft top, 3.9, manual trans, with 45,300 miles. I just got this from my father-in-law who has had since 1996.

He has been living with gas mileage of 10-11 mph both in-town and highway. When the D is started it will run 15-25 seconds and die. Second time, it will start run 10-20 seconds longer and die. Third time it will usually remain running.

Watching the tach, idle is fluctuating from ~600 with occasional short bumps to 1200-1500. It idles very poorly except when it bumps up at which point it smoothes out dramatically. After it stays running, it will drive but very sluggishly for the first 3-5 minutes. It then runs well but experiences intermittent hesitations. It has not yet stalled. It threw a single error code of 17 before I started working on it. I cleared the code by unhooking the battery and have driven 7 or 8 times with no codes returning.

I should also mention that the Defender appears to be stock with no obvious mods other tyhan factory AC. We are in Laramie, Wyoming and thus operating at 7200 ft above sea level.

Any ideas? I ordered the Land Rover Classic workshop manuals on CD but it will not arrive for several days I would guess.

Follow-up Post:

Another question guys,

When the Stepper-motor is removed, should you be able to actuate it back and forth by hand? Mine is completely stuck. I can not move it at all. Is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2006, 12:48 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
My stepper motor would not move by hand. I am still unsure how to test it/verify that it works..... Last week, I exchanged it with a known good one and that was my problem.....
Based on what you said, it is very likely the problem (in your case, it is probably stuck 3/4 closed?).
Pick up a buick (or other) replacement (~$40) and try it out. I am sure you can return the part if this is not it (anyway.... might want to keep as a spare! ;-) ).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Good to know thanks.

You nailed that one, it does appear ~3/4 of its travel till closed and will not move.

I am going to try picking up the GM version from AutoZone that I found through another post here. It cross referenced to their AC 102. Do these work ok? Is there any way to check specs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2006, 01:34 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
My stepper motor would not move by hand
Just to be clear: what I meant is that it seems normal to not be able to move it by hand! I still don't know if there is a way to test the motor.... Now that I have a busted one, maybe I'll try to apply 12V directly to it to see if it moves? (stepper motor typically need a clock type signal, but I don't know if the electronic signal clock is on the ECU side or embedded in the motor itself....)
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:50 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Welcome Scott, off subject but is there any wheelin' in the Laramie area? Vedawoo area?
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I am new to the area but have found some 6-7 type trails so far between Vedawoo and Laramie. I am trying to find some wheelers here now. I can try to update you if you'd like.
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Heck yeah, I spend a lot of time out there in the summer mostly fishing. Haven't found much as far as wheeling. Some in the Snowy Range.

PM me or post in the chit chat section if you want. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90