D90 Runs a little hotter than normal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:27 AM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Smile D90 Runs a little hotter than normal

hey so last week I was driving my 97 D90 down the freeway softop on, ac on, it was in the 80s here in Dallas and I noticed the temp needle was just a little above/past the mid-way temp mark, it normally runs a little below the mid-way mark. I recently replaced all the hoses and coolant with water wetter along with getting a new block, it did not overheat but the needle went down after getting off the freeway and was where it normally is all the way home. This only happened to me one other time later that week and since then it's been fine but I haven't been running the a/c as much. One thing I noticed was that when the engine reached this higher temp I couldn't hear the viscous fan blowing as much as I would think. I know the couplings on those do go bad but was also wondering if I should be running a cooler thermostat for Texas weather... oh yeah don't think I've replaced my thermostat. Truck has about 70,000 mi. Do y'all have any ideas as to what might fix this minor problem? The viscous couplings I see at AB & RN are a little more pricey than I want to pay for one, if anyone has a new one they'd be willing to make a deal on that'd be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:38 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Did you bleed the air out of the cooling system?
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:08 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Fit a better clutch. I'm assuming it'd be the same upgrade as in this thread on dweb b/c 4.0 V8. http://discoweb.org/forums/showthrea...uty+fan+clutch

You could also replace the fan with an electric one which would be my recomendation.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Or Pendy's blade:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26331
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:48 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
He didn't want to pay the AB price for a fan clutch. I doubt he wants to pay $250 for "Pendy's blade".

You little rebel, I like you.
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:26 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Before you assume it is running hot, you should check the temperature of the top tank of the radiator with an IR thermometer, or even just a kitchen thermometer in the overflow tank. Landy temp gauges are not renowned for accuracy.

If you swapped the block, did the coolant temp sensor get removed/replaced? Did it possibly get installed with silisnot or something on the threads that could affect the sensor's ground?
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:57 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

I would check the temp with the IR sensor, like Tony says, if it is running a little hot, in my experience it can definitley be the fan clutch. My d-90 started running "a little" warmer during highway runs, the fan clutch appeared to be normal but finally went out altogether. After replacing the fan clutch with one from AB the temp gauge is steady, highway or stop and go.
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Baird if you want to go cheap I can dig up the part number for a $60 one from advance auto. You have to get some M10x1.5 15mm bolts and drill out the holes in your fan to accommodate them, but otherwise it's a direct fit.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
well I inspected my fan clutch today (whilst replacing the alternator) and it looks like there may be a tiny seepage of oil coming from the center of the clutch. The clutch appears to be damp around the middle and dry on the outside. I was told that this means the clutch is going out, but whatever oil is being leaked out is such a small amount that it's dry, doesn't feel wet or oily to the touch. I'll post a pic, maybe one of y'all could tell me if this looks indicative of a dying fan clutch. Not to familiar with fan clutches.... this is my only Rover so not sure if this is normal or if it means I need to get a new clutch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 Old Fan Clutch.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	37528  
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
That spring on all the clutches ive ever bought had greese on them. I am sure that is remants, not to mention how nasty RV8's get over time. You would do yourself well to look on the Discoweb for the GM HD clutch, I put one on a serp range rover. I would advise if youve got some mileage on your truck to replace the fan, they are prone to shattering. The stock D90 fan is worthless.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
yeah I already put a new land rover fan on, found that the blades on my old one broke off too easily
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Be a good idea to at least have your radiator rodded and cleaned. This can often be done for less then 100. The small passages of the radiator core LR used clog very easy and the radiator shop can clean them to bring back the radiator cooling.

You will more then likely find the exterior of the core clogged up as well upoun removal.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:54 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
today I fitted a new 180 degree thermostat to help it keep cool, don't really need the extra 10 degrees here in Dallas, hopefully this will do the trick.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90