D90 Repair In Socal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Zimbo76
Keith Page
1994 Defender

D90 Repair In Socal

Hey troops,

I just moved to San Diego (San Marcos) area and need to find a good mechanic in the area that knows D90's.
Does anyone know a place or am I stuck with LR and $100 an hour?

Also, my steering is making a noise. Only when I turn it. Sounds like the motor is about to give out. I am only used to the African spec LR, and not used to the NAS setup. What do I need to replace and can I do it myself.

Thanks,

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

There is the Rover Group in San Diego that I have heard good things about but have never been too.

In Riverside there is Inland Rovers - Gordon is a cool cat and does nice work.

In Orange County there is West Coast Rovers - Eddie is very cool and does good work as well.
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:56 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
I had my D90 mantained ( before I owned it) British&Italian Auto Repair Handcock st. San Diego
I talked to him and had him do an inspection befor I bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2006, 12:20 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Hey Keith,

Welcome to San Diego. Yeah, check out the Rover Group. I think they just moved:
http://www.therovergroup.com/home.htm

They definitely know Defenders - quite a few in the local area, and the owner has a 110.
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:34 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Keith,

Welcome to San Diego.

I concur with Ryan and can recommend Jim Newmann and his crew at The Rover Group. I have been a customer of his for over five years and they are good solid folks. They do plenty of D-90 and D-110 work anywhere from an oil change to a complete engine upgrade and expedition prep.

Sounds like the worm drive in your power steering may be a possible culprit for the noise you are hearing. You might want to kill two birds with one stone and set up an appointment with Jim to introduce yourself and have them look over your truck. You can then determine what is wrong and decide if you want to tackle it yourself or let them take care of it for you.

I am no master technician, but if you decide to tackle the project on your own and need help swapping out the PS box or pump, I would be happy to give you a hand. San Marcos is not too far north from where I am.

Cheers.
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

I used to be in S.M. but am in Temecula now. Welcome to the party. So when are we all going wheeling?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Zimbo76
Keith Page
1994 Defender

Thanks all for the info.
I will go see Rover Group.
I figured out that my line is cracked. I turned it on and used the steering a bit and the fluid leaked out.
Once this is fixed I am ready to wheel. I am sure I can replace that line as I have done it on a 110 in Africa and it must be about the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90