D90 Rear Bench-Seat Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
LandWorks
Rob G
95 D90

D90 Rear Bench-Seat Install

I have rear bench and seatbelts that I need to install. The front pins ar ein place but there are no holes anywhere to bolt down the rear seat posts or mount the seatbelts female end. Can someone provide some directions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandWorks View Post
I have rear bench and seatbelts that I need to install. The front pins ar ein place but there are no holes anywhere to bolt down the rear seat posts or mount the seatbelts female end. Can someone provide some directions?
http://www.defendersource.com/tech/d90seat.pdf
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Not too sure what you mean by the rear seat post. The female seat belt ends mount with one bolt in the middle right at the edge of the tub, through the rubber mat. There is a nut in there that it will bolt into. Not sure if it is in all trucks or needs to be added. Mine came with a rear bench so the seat belt ends were already there.

As to the seat there are the brackets that the seat flips forward on that mount to the forward floor of the tub and then there are two brackets that mount on each side of the tub that the seat locks into when it is open. Both have plates that offer support on the other side.

Seat belts mount behind the speaker enclosures IIRC they bolt to the roll cage back there and then the belt threads up through the speaker enclosure and there is a bracket like the front seat belts that gives the belts tension.

I'll try and get some photos of this later on since my seat is out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2010, 11:35 PM
LandWorks
Rob G
95 D90

Got it all set today. FOund the smae info that was on the earlier link. Pretty easy install. Thanks
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:34 PM
EastsideD-90
Zach B
1995 D-90ST

I just purchased a 95 ST which has jump seats. I plan to re-install the forward facing bench (so I can strap in the kids). Couple of questions:

1) Will I have to purchase a new rear liner/mat which has pre-cut holes? If so, what is a good source?
2) What should I use to plug the holes where the mounting hardware for the jump seats is currently? I want to leave open the options of re-installing those at a later date.

Thanks for the help. I found this forum very helpful, while doing research for this purchase.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You don't have to buy a new mat unless you don't like the look of the old holes. None of them come with pre-cut holes anyway, but they do have a relief in the mat where the mounts go, so you can at least see where to cut.

The factory used little round pieces of black duct tape to cover extra holes in the tub. I've used the same method and it works great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:58 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

So the instruction PDF is for model year 1995 and later. I'm going to be doing this exact project soon in my '94- is there a difference between a '94 install and a '95+ install?

Jerod
Old June 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
So the instruction PDF is for model year 1995 and later. I'm going to be doing this exact project soon in my '94- is there a difference between a '94 install and a '95+ install?

Jerod
There is some difference, since 95's that I have seen have the holes and mounts for the seats and seat belts already in place, whereas 94's only have those parts if the bench was installed. So its easier to retrofit the bench seat and the belts to a 95.

Old March 13th, 2012, 02:01 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Reviving this thread, because I'm trying to do something similar: install a rear bench seat and belts (stock parts from a ST) in my '95 D90 SW. That pdf is helpful, but the seat belt installation is clearly different.

Does anyone have any pics or advice on mounting the seat belts? Do I need this (Exmoor?) bracket? Does anyone have a preference between Exmoor belts and the stock ones?

Also, the location of the seat seems pretty flexible (haven't yet checked what kind of load points there under the tub)... has anyone moved the seat location to any great advantage? Seems like a leg room versus storage balancing act.

Lastly: any preference on seat upholstery? The bench I got (and available retrim from RN) is in "car denim". My front seats are Moorland, but seem a little fragile. Looking to upgrade to something durable and clean looking for either/both front and back.
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:22 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Here's what I got for parts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	48998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	48999  

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	49000  
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
what's up with the zebra pattern belt?
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
what's up with the zebra pattern belt?

Looks like a rear disco belt
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:10 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Disco in more ways than one. And kind of short looking. Any thoughts on the install?
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:19 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks like you have all the pieces except the spacers that go in the roll bar...PM me if you need these. I believe in 95 the under tub supports for the Y belt and the seat pivot brackets were installed at the factory. That being said, you could technically move your seat forward or back as much as you want as long as you install new backing plates. In my 94, there were no backing plates beneath the tub so I made my own out of 1/4" plate but still installed in approximately the factory position as you have to be careful with the tub support ribs.

Regarding the Disco belt, you are correct in that it is a little shorter but you have the Defender Y belt which is good because that is normally the issue with the Disco belts. I have Disco belts in the rear of my truck and ended up making a bracket to move the Y belt mount forward about 2".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Upper Belt Spacer.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	49034  
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Peter
Peter
1997 D90

Does anyone know what size bolt is used in Figure 5 - C that attachs the seat belt to the body?
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I believe it is an M10 but would have to double check
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Looks like you have all the pieces except the spacers that go in the roll bar
Cool... but I am having difficulty seeing how to apply this in my SW. I've got an obscured roll bar and the slot (diagram 5-E) in the top of the speaker box doesn't exist for me.

Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	49082  
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My apologies...I somehow completely missed the SW part! The parts you have are meant for a ST I believe as typically the SW have a high mount for the rear belt
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:13 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Like ships passing in the night.

Any idea where that high mount goes? Or what other parts I need?
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:20 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't have much experience with bench seats in a SW as I have only seen jump seats so I will defer to someone else who can offer more. That being said, I will bring this up at the NOVA HH tonight to see what experience they have as well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, bench, d90