D90 Rear Bench-Seat Install - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

I have no experience installing a bench seat in a SW, but I am pretty sure that there is no rear cage hoop extending up beyond the point where the tub meets the sides of the roof, and therefore no viable high mount point. In my truck (97 SW) the cage emerges from the tub and bolts into the capping. It stops there. Maybe someone else can confirm?
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
You will need either an upper hoop or something else solid enough to bolt the tops of the seatbelts to. See attached pic of how it fits in a ST.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Belt.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	49114  
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:27 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There was a good write-up on the ECR site on one of the customer trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2012, 08:18 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Still kind of stumped by this seatbelt thing. I've got SafariHP on the case too, but I'm surprised this hasn't been attempted before. Anyone successfully installed a forward-facing bench seat in an SW?
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyliang View Post
Still kind of stumped by this seatbelt thing. I've got SafariHP on the case too, but I'm surprised this hasn't been attempted before. Anyone successfully installed a forward-facing bench seat in an SW?
Buy the exmoor brackets that bolt into the the internal upper right and left corners of the SW capping, and you can also get the retractable seat belts that go with them (from Stephen). They're designed for the new lock and fold seats but you should be able to repurpose for the bench seat. I think this is discussed elsewhere on the board.. You'll need to cut the trim.

See here:

http://www.safarihp-trim.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Seatbelts are listed below the bracket. Unsure of the exact seatbelt points because they're usually attached to the seat as part of the L&F. I have the brackets and all the bits for the rear bench seat, but not the retractable belts yet.. I may go with L&F.
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Talked to Stephen and he said those would work (the upper brackets), but two big concerns:
- a seat belt that's too high for someone sitting so low in the bench seat (decapitation?)
- cutting or re-doing the window trim (a $500 part)

Anyone have any pictures of how they made this work?

Tempted to just go with the static lap belts and hope the kids' car seats won't be too rigid to keep the tension.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Didn't ECR do a nice job on putting a ST bench in a SW? Josh, can you find the pic?

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Didn't ECR do a nice job on putting a ST bench in a SW? Josh, can you find the pic?
They did. See my post earlier. Just takes some googling probably. On my phone.
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
This one?:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/224.html

Looks like a custom seat and not much info on the seat belts (other than their custom top bracket), but very inspiring. How much do you think they charge for a Xzibit pimp-out like that?
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:39 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyliang View Post
This one?:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/224.html

Looks like a custom seat and not much info on the seat belts (other than their custom top bracket), but very inspiring. How much do you think they charge for a Xzibit pimp-out like that?
Probably not cheap - but I'd call them to ask which seat belts they're using and the specific mounting points. Their fabricated bracket is actually higher than the exmoor bracket, from what I can tell, but they've nailed it for the bench seat... unless that seat base is higher than OEM.

Here's a link to a discussion about the parts..

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29535
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
They use the Land Rover ones that you'd get from LR parts dept - or so they said back in 2010 when they were supplying the brackets to be able to put a rear bench in your ST.
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
They use the Land Rover ones that you'd get from LR parts dept - or so they said back in 2010 when they were supplying the brackets to be able to put a rear bench in your ST.
Yeah, I think you're right..

Forward-facing seats have been my single biggest frustration with my SW.. And I'll probably end up going with the L&Fs for the apparent hassle-free install, all parts available, do it at home in the afternoon, etc. Granted the seats will cost me 2 grand plus shipping..
Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:57 AM
StphNieuw
Stephan
Former owner of a 84 D90 RHD 2.5 NA

With regard to the ecr front facing seat, how do you get in? Climb over the back via the trunk door or over the drivers seat? Since the seats are over the battery or fuel tank it's raised as well, it seams that would be difficult. I too want to put a rear set in mine but still trying to figure out my options
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Depends on how old you are. Front seats, through the space between the B and C Pillars over the tub, through the back door, etc.

However you can.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
I'm considering mounting that bench seat rear-facing for the kiddos and easy access. I remember riding in a seat like that as a kid in my buddy's dad's station wagon and I can't remember if I puked or not. Those were the days... no car seats! I think that seat folded up out of the floor and had static lap belts...

I wonder if adults would be sickened/annoyed by rear-facing.

I tried out someone else's lock and folds, and despite being very sturdy and cool for the fact that you could have one up to get in, the whole process of folding down/up is tricky and cumbersome. Not to mention four dollar signs.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Considering most passengers in a D90 are not wearing evening gowns the seats are ok to get into from behind.

I used to leave it flipped down and then the adult passengers climbed over it from the rear and flipped it up to sit in it.

From a parent's perspective your child is going to climb over EVERYTHING you don't want them to put their feet on to get into any seat. With child seats I just hopped in a hoisted the kid over the back into the seat. It's not bad and actually pretty simple- and I'm pretty lazy.

There is a write-up from someone in the UK who has done the seat belts with said bracket in the cargo area too. IIRC you have to drill a hole in the trim for the bolt to mount to. The bracket mounts to the interior portion of the gutter area of the sides and top. Looks super simple and clean. I don't have the link but Eagle Eye probably knows the blog.

I have a D2 with the cargo seats and they are always a pain- folded up you want the space, folded down they aren't that comfortable. So- I would always recommend a forward facing bench. You can take it out completely in a few minutes and be done. I would rivet the captive bolts that mount underneath the tub to the bottom of the tub so you can remove the feet easily too. Seems like everything you shove in the back was getting caught on the feet with the seat was out. Not a bit deal- but while you are at it...
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
StphNieuw
Stephan

one of the guys at work suggested a jeep wrangler rear bench. He said he had recently replaced his jeep rear bench prior to selling it. I did some searches and saw the Bestop 39440-01 TrailMax II Fold and tumble Rear Bench is 35x24x14 which would be able to fit in the tub area. I measured mine and it's 36" wide. Seat belts would need to be sorted out but it does look like there are some options.
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:51 PM
StphNieuw
Stephan

Also just saw the forward facing fold up left and right seats from exmoor. These aren't that expensive when compared to benches. Might be worth investigating further
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It can be done. I would ditch all the window trim (store it as it is worth $$$$) and just fit the POE upper mount.
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by StphNieuw View Post
Also just saw the forward facing fold up left and right seats from exmoor. These aren't that expensive when compared to benches. Might be worth investigating further
Sure - if you don't think $900 each + shipping isn't expensive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, bench, d90