D90 purchase help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2007, 10:39 AM
nibj
Peter Monk
'67 Series IIa LWB SW

D90 purchase help

I'm looking at maybe buying a 1994 NAS D90 (#300 I think - anyone know it - I think it's lived at the Delaware shore?). It's been in salt air and has suffered some corrosion - but the body/bulkhead looks good with no bubbles and apart from the rear X-member the chassis looks fine (a cursory inspection so far!). Perhaps you can help me with some answers:

1) I understand from other posts here that the fuel tank is held up by the tank guard. Is that correct on a '94? The tank guard on this vehicle is rusted out on both sides so that the guard is held on only at the rear cross member and rests on the sway bar. I presume this is a major safety hazard....

2) The AC and heater switchs/levers are all solid from corrosion. Is there good availability for this sort of stuff? How about ducting/fans for AC/heat? Are they costly? How difficult is the dash to remove/work on?

3) I presume that (like series vehicles) the main area for chassis corrosion is the rear X-member. I guess if the tank guard is bad, the rear chassis is likely to be close behind. Are repair sections readily available? Would the tub need to come off to weld one on?

Thanks for the help - should I walk or run from this one

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Regarding 2), are you refering to the levers on the left on the steering wheel or the A/C control in the center section of the dashboard?
I would think you are talking about the controls on the left of the steering wheel (temperature and "up-down air" selection levers), in which case, you can remove the plastic cover and free them. They need a little bit of grease from time to time (and will appear to be stuck) but I have yet to see one corroded. If those are corroded.... run from it....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM
nibj
Peter Monk
'67 Series IIa LWB SW

Both the central knobs for the AC are seized. The fan lever is almost corroded away and seemed to have no effect. The temp/vents controls are very stiff. To give an idea of the internal corrosion, the cubby box hinge is rusted solid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2007, 12:00 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Sounds like the owner really neglected it. It better be cheap and you better be ready to spend the purchase price to rebuild it.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Was it left outside without a top on it? If the inside is that bad, the underside must be a mess. I agree with Kevin. Be prepaired to spend time and money fixing things...good luck!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:54 PM
nibj
Peter Monk
'67 Series IIa LWB SW

I was told it was kept under cover (which is consistent with the good paintwork - unless its a respray which I doubt). But I think it must have been under a carport or similar with the door tops off (door tops are perfect as new) and soft top windows out (also perfect - and much better than the top) and open to the sea air. I think some of the engine electronics are new (where is the ECU and port on a 1994 D90?).

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Peter,

ECU is under the dash on the P/S kick panel.

It has had a new top if the windows come out.

Check behind the transmission cross member for rust. This is worse that the rear cross member as it is structural and is not found in series vehicles.

The tank guard is about $200 or so, but the bigger issue is the amount of corrosion elsewhere if the tank gaurd is that bad. Yes, that is what holds up the fuel tank!

Heat/cool and vent/defrost switches are a bit of a bugger to replace but are cheap and available. Never known anyone to replace ducting. Dash is harder than a series but not terrible, just fiddly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90