D90 Out Of Controll !!!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Rover- Girl

Question D90 Out Of Controll !!!!!

I recently had a OME kit installed, then had the drag link and tie rod bushings replaced..
I was told that I need an aliment after the installment of the bushings and such..
( hence, the steering wheel is completely of center)...
I was going to drive like this until my next maintenance appt.
However, I have noticed the truck is veering almost out of control when applying the
brakes or making a sudden lane change
Is it just the alignment I need or is something else wrong here !!??
FYI... will have the truck align tomorrow....just to be on the save side!
Thanks Christine
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500
Alignment can definitely do this, especially with a little lift and bigger tires.

I had a similar problem, and it turned out one of my rear trailing arm nuts was loose. Even when I would let off the gas, it felt like it was going to swerve out of control. I was told it could be loose or the bushing need replacing but it was just loose. You can check these easily, they are rods from the rear axle and connect to the frame just in front of the rear wheels.

Hope this helps...

Old April 13th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Most likely, yes, the new springs and everything else have the front end really far out of whack. IIRC you were going to do all new tie rod ends and steering joints too right? Did you have those done as well? Most likely that is what is causing the issue you're having, and why the mechanic said to get an alignment. Changing those parts can really alter the entire steering geometry.

I'd suggest you definitely get it aligned first chance you get. When you get it done, make sure to tell them what else you had done, and to make sure that they check all of the steering and front end linkages. Otherwise they might just line up the tires and not fix the steering issue too.

But that is probably all you need.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Rover- Girl

Great, that's what I thought too, just wanted to hear it from the "REAL ROVER PROFFESSIONALS"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90