D90 Noob Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:27 PM
Knobhill
Matt
None

D90 Noob Questions

Hi Everyone!
This is a great forum and I have learned a lot by just reading threads and trolling Since I was in high school, my dream truck has always been a D90. In fact, the 1994 D90 came out the year I got my license. My consolation prize was a 1982 Jeep CJ-7. Now that I am close to a mid-life crisis, I think it is finally time to make my dream come true.

I have so many questions about owning a D90:

1. Rust seems to be one of the major issues. I live in Redondo beach, about 1 mile from the ocean. Without a garage, I would keep the car covered. Experts be honest: is this environment going to be really bad for the car? Like, to the point that I should not get it?

2. If the environment is fine, my next question is use. I don't plan on going off-roading, just taking the top off and cruising to the beach to play volleyball and running errands on the weekend. It will be a 3rd car but I will use it to commute to work when it is nice out--20 mins on city streets. Any advice on maintenance and keeping my D90 running for the least amount of $ possible? I am a school teacher on a budget. I have already looked up some reputable LR repair shops in my area and also saw some here on the forum.

3. Buying a D90, I see that members here sell their cars for much more reasonable prices on the forum, and that seemingly all of them are well-cared for. Our current car is an H2 and we bought it out-of-state, so I am not really concerned about where the D90 comes from as long is it in great shape and reliable. If anyone has any leads on some great deals, let me know.

Thanks, and I am so glad to have found you!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:32 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Welcome!
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

1. I live in manhattan beach and garage my truck but I did have it uncovered on the street in hermosa a few blocks from the beach for years and my truck is fine. Come see it. I think with being near the ocean in SoCal it depends on where you live. In hermosa it seemed houses blocked wind etc. Where I am now I wouldn't want it on the street due to direct wind etc.

2. Service - southbay autohaus. After years of shit shops it is the only shop I trust. Never overcharge and will not do unnecessary work.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:53 PM
Knobhill
Matt
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
1. I live in manhattan beach and garage my truck but I did have it uncovered on the street in hermosa a few blocks from the beach for years and my truck is fine. Come see it. I think with being near the ocean in SoCal it depends on where you live. In hermosa it seemed houses blocked wind etc. Where I am now I wouldn't want it on the street due to direct wind etc.

2. Service - southbay autohaus. After years of shit shops it is the only shop I trust. Never overcharge and will not do unnecessary work.

Good luck

Thanks man! I live near Torrance and Camino Real in Redondo. If I park it on the street, it will get moisture from fog. However, I can park it in the driveway and it will be shielded.

I would love to check your truck out sometime. What color is it? I will keep an eye out. Thanks for the tip on sb autohaus!
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It's a 94 blue soft top.

The fog won't hurt it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
d90