D90 NAS ignition lock - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 15th, 2015, 09:51 AM
salayc
Chris
1997 Defender NAS LE

D90 NAS ignition lock

I can't find them anywhere. My ignition lock has been flakey (lots of key jiggling) and recently the car won't start with brake depressed. It will start with foot off the brake, but it won't shift into gear. I would like to replace the lock assembly, but the NAS lock has two wires on top that act as an immobilizer? That version of the lock doesn't seem to exist as a spare and it doesn't look like there's a way to remove the connector from the factory lock.
Should I jump the wires? Is there another lock available? Is there a way to transfer the sensor to an aftermarket lock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2015, 09:54 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

That vehicle doesn't have an immobilized through the key..I think the 2 wires you are thinking of is the "key in" warning sensor...so you don't leave the keys in the ignition...
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:07 AM
salayc
Chris
1997 Defender NAS LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
That vehicle doesn't have an immobilized through the key..I think the 2 wires you are thinking of is the "key in" warning sensor...so you don't leave the keys in the ignition...
I'm trying to find the link, but the info I read was that the wires on top of the lock sense the key and are connected to the ECU to control the starting and shift lock solenoid. The poster jumped the two wires and his truck started. AFAIK, the buzzer is on the side of the lock and has it's own wires. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I would love to start the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2015, 12:26 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
AMR2077 is the original NAS ignition lock. According to Land Rover they no longer make it. I think it was actually a part shared with Range Rovers. Some of the superseded part numbers show the replacement as Defender & Range Rover Ignition lock.

You may get lucky and find old stock somewhere, but it would probably over $300.
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:58 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have a nice used one from a '94- not sure if it is the same??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

One thing that people often do that leads to heavy wear & tear on the lock portion of the assembly is they have a bunch of other keys and crap hanging on their key ring. The shear weight of all that "stuff" hanging on the small lock components that engage the key does a great degree of damage, over time, to those parts, which in turn leads to lock problems & failure.

If possible, the ignition key in the lock alone is the best option.
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:09 PM
salayc
Chris
1997 Defender NAS LE

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have the definitive answer as to whether or not the ignition lock "key sensor" prevents ignition?
Old December 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

You can fit replacement ignition lock assemblies that don't have those wires for the key chime without issue. I know this for a fact. I just replaced the ignition lock assembly in our '95 D90 with part number LR041320 just last year. Brand new Genuine part. It's pretty much the same part as the original, it just doesn't have the key chime.

Got mine at Rovers North, although it looks like they are out right now:
LOCK ASSY IGNITION/STEERING CLM DEFENDER, RNH694, QRF500110, LR041320 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

They do have a Proline version available:
STEERING LOCK DEFENDER & RANGE ROVER, PLH694, QRF500110 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Lot's of options from the UK vendors as well.

Cheers,

Mike
Old December 16th, 2015, 01:48 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
One is available here...

Ignition lock & 2 keys - Defender Source

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, nas