D90 Life Span - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Adam Salnick
1974 Series III SWB
D90 Life Span

Let me start off by saying that I am a series rover guy. I have driven them all my life. I purchased my first one when I was 16. As I am getting older and make a bit more money than my McDonalds days, I have decided that I want a 90, most likly a 1994. My question basically is what is the service life of the rig. I.E. do I need to pull the motor at 100K, 150, 200.... I understand that this depends on porper maintainence throughout its life, but lets give the dreaded P.O. the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, can any of you my coil sprung brethern help shed some light on the situation?

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Re-Fendered 90
Hi Adam,

I fully expect some very fiery disagreement for what I am about to say but oh well. Though these engines "can" last up to 200 k, ie, it happened once in a land far far away, they usually start to kick the bucket at 100k. Alluminum head and a very inadequate cooling system are mostly to blame. It is not too expensive to rebuild what you have at that time. Once the clock hits 100 there is just a lot that starts to crap out in most of the drivetrain. Hope this helps.

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks www.rovertracks.com
PSC www.racesteering.com
DJ Safety www.djsafety.com
West Coast Rovers www.westcoastrovers.com
Reel Driveline www.reeldriveline.com

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:55 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
400k if properly maintained (ie you shut it down before you overheat and you change the oil)

*not legal advice*
Old November 10th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Ron, is that 400,000 miles or 400,000 kilometers (250,000 miles)? Both seem high, but I know mine has lasted over 100,000 miles.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:24 PM
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD
from Series to D-90

I'm a former Series IIa 88" owner...which I restored...or, at least, got it running and painted...ahem. Anyway, I've owned two 94 NAS D-90s and here's my opinion. The stock head gaskets on the 94 were inferior and prone to blow out...not neccessarily in a major way, but they develop leaks that lead to cooling issues. With current spec head gaskets, things could stay functional much longer. My radiator fins corroded away at 120K so that you could literally see through the radiator (also contributing to the cooling issue). Also, it seems the fan clutch can go...making cooling an issue once again. Once these things are brought up to spec (I installed a recored radiator, new head gaskets and valley gasket, new hoses and electric fans) the engine is able to idle in noon day 95 degree highway traffic jams for hours at a time with no problem. As long as cooling is maintained these engines are fine...once cooling goes and serious overheat is allowed to continue...throw it away. The rest of the vehicle is so much like a series rover you'll know your way around with no problem. Some minor differences in swivel ball and brake replacement...but read the excellent posts on this site and get a manual...no problem. I bought my 94 cause I wanted to upgrade my series with better brakes, better heat, more power, etc...by the time the list was written, I realized I wanted an NAS D-90...As a Series guy, you won't regret the switch...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90