Defender Source Forum banner

D90 Life Span

Tags
90 d90
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Gkase 
#1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I am a series rover guy. I have driven them all my life. I purchased my first one when I was 16. As I am getting older and make a bit more money than my McDonalds days, I have decided that I want a 90, most likly a 1994. My question basically is what is the service life of the rig. I.E. do I need to pull the motor at 100K, 150, 200.... I understand that this depends on porper maintainence throughout its life, but lets give the dreaded P.O. the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, can any of you my coil sprung brethern help shed some light on the situation?

#2 ·
Hi Adam,

I fully expect some very fiery disagreement for what I am about to say but oh well. Though these engines "can" last up to 200 k, ie, it happened once in a land far far away, they usually start to kick the bucket at 100k. Alluminum head and a very inadequate cooling system are mostly to blame. It is not too expensive to rebuild what you have at that time. Once the clock hits 100 there is just a lot that starts to crap out in most of the drivetrain. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
from Series to D-90

I'm a former Series IIa 88" owner...which I restored...or, at least, got it running and painted...ahem. Anyway, I've owned two 94 NAS D-90s and here's my opinion. The stock head gaskets on the 94 were inferior and prone to blow out...not neccessarily in a major way, but they develop leaks that lead to cooling issues. With current spec head gaskets, things could stay functional much longer. My radiator fins corroded away at 120K so that you could literally see through the radiator (also contributing to the cooling issue). Also, it seems the fan clutch can go...making cooling an issue once again. Once these things are brought up to spec (I installed a recored radiator, new head gaskets and valley gasket, new hoses and electric fans) the engine is able to idle in noon day 95 degree highway traffic jams for hours at a time with no problem. As long as cooling is maintained these engines are fine...once cooling goes and serious overheat is allowed to continue...throw it away. The rest of the vehicle is so much like a series rover you'll know your way around with no problem. Some minor differences in swivel ball and brake replacement...but read the excellent posts on this site and get a manual...no problem. I bought my 94 cause I wanted to upgrade my series with better brakes, better heat, more power, etc...by the time the list was written, I realized I wanted an NAS D-90...As a Series guy, you won't regret the switch...
George
Chicago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.