D90 in North Carolina - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

D90 in North Carolina

On my search for a D90, I've located a potential one in North Carolina. One of the problems is that I live a bit of a distance away (PA) and it's at a dealer I know absolutely nothing about.

Can anyone tell me if they know anything about these guys? Any experience, info, reputation, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows any solid knowledgeable D90 owners/mechanics in the vicinity that would be able to offer services on checking out the vehicle, that would also be a huge help.

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.autosportsbythelake.com/w...aspx?iid=85264
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

That's definitely steep for a '94, plus used car dealers are probably less likely to haggle than private sellers. Also, if you buy a '94, make sure it has an R380 transmission. The LT77 supposedly had issues, and many '94s have been retrofitted with the newer style tranny.

There are a few nice d90s for sale right now in Colorado (I think some of them are on this board) and there are plenty of people to check them out. Hell, I dont work during the summer, and I would even drive it back to nepa for you! Let me try to find the links to the one or two I was thinking of...
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

That one has the LT77 (unless they didn't change the knob. But that said, I still have the LT in mine and with 88K it shifts fine. My concern would be any rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:45 PM
schnegja
Jeff Schnegelberger
97 Defender 90

that's about 2 miles from my house. i can run by and check it out if you want. i can get more pics. They get alot of D90s in there for some reason. They had a white 97D90 with a funky hardtop on it last month. When I checked it out i noticed anti freeze pooled up on top of the waterpump.

let me know if you want me to run by there
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

Assistance

Man, the amount of assistance I've received from people after only being on this site for a short time has been tremendous. I really appreciate it. Jeff and Jeff, PMs sent to you guys.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I don't know if this helps. I shopped real hard for a blue one. I ended up with a 94 like this one except with a different brush bar and side steps. It had the 380 tranny upgrade and the 97 air. Same miles as the one you are looking at. I paid 24,000. Felt like I didn't get a steal, but paid somewhere around market value. Some others may chime in on this with experience, but hopefully that gives you a guage to go by. Landroversforsale.com is where I shopped. Cool guys and have treated me fairly. Out of Birmingham

Good luck, hope you find one cause its the most fun car you will ever buy!
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:02 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

I'm no expert but:

The Land Rover oval badge does not belong in the center of the grill. It belongs in the lower right hand area. Not a real big deal, but why was it moved? It is one of the first 300 Defenders imported as it has the lower roll cage running above the wheel wells. The front seat does not look too cheap to repair and is certainly not cheap to replace. Why is the passenger seat covered? The rear seat looks like it needs some repair as well. Rust on rear seat brackets and on the tire carrier. Just some things you might use to get a better price!

Have you requested a carfax report to see where the vehicle has spent most of it's life?

Concerning the tranny, I have a 94 ST with 110,000 miles and the LT77. Mine still shifts smoothly and I have not had any problems out of it (knock on wood).

Price seems kind of high for the condition and lack of A/C. I bought mine with 98,000 miles for $21,000 in great shape. However, mine is white, arlus blue is a little harder to come buy. I like ebay, if you keep an eye out you can get a good deal. Depends on how much you want to shop.

Lastly, it should be a crime to put those tires on a D90!

Just my opinion. Good luck with your purchase.
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

A bit steep for a 94. Just my two penneth.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
I got my '97 in September with 64,000 miles on the clock for $24,000. This may be exactly what you are looking for, but if you're in the least bit hesitant about it, I'd say shop around.

Good luck.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

Yep

I felt the price was high also based on year, transmission, etc and I'd obviously prefer to avoid a dealer purchase.

Thanks for all those who offered their two cents, it's appreciated. It's always good to see what people got for their $$$ when they purchased their D90s, good reference points.

I'll continue to patiently search.
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

check this one out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...spagenameZWDVW

While you probably want to steer clear of used car dealer who needs to make a big profit off each used car, the LR dealer might have taken that on a trade and is just looking to move it. They dont need to make a huge margin off a used car.

Granted it is in Vegas, but there is no rust, it is low miles, and you could probably strike a deal where they do the 90K service, or at least a full service and inspection, beforehand. I would imagine that if any dealer knows a defender, it would have to be a Land Rover centre. This one looks really clean.

I wouldnt rule out ebay. Sometimes nice ones get on there from people who need to move one quick--as a last resort but there are definitely a number of guys on here who have bought off ebay.
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

Anyone out in the Vegas area know anything about this dealership? Reputation, quality, etc?

A lot of people talk about the R380 transmission vs The LT77 in the 94's. Is a '94 with the LT77 reason enough not to buy? Seems like some people on here have been able to make it okay with the 77.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...spagenameZWDVW

While you probably want to steer clear of used car dealer who needs to make a big profit off each used car, the LR dealer might have taken that on a trade and is just looking to move it. They dont need to make a huge margin off a used car.

Granted it is in Vegas, but there is no rust, it is low miles, and you could probably strike a deal where they do the 90K service, or at least a full service and inspection, beforehand. I would imagine that if any dealer knows a defender, it would have to be a Land Rover centre. This one looks really clean.

I wouldnt rule out ebay. Sometimes nice ones get on there from people who need to move one quick--as a last resort but there are definitely a number of guys on here who have bought off ebay.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90