D90 Heater modification - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

D90 Heater modification

I have a client who's D90 is in for repairs. One of the things that we're doing is enlarging the heater opening in the bulkhead. I've searched some and found references to it, but haven't found a lot of pictures or other info. If anyone has any info to share, i'd like to hear it. It's relatively easy to see how big the opening could be, but i'm concerned with the seal slipping into the opening. I'm thinking of cutting it in such a way as to allow me to fold the metal into a flange to support the seal. What have you all done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2015, 01:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...a-38561-4.html
Old March 30th, 2015, 01:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm still curious if this mod actually increases the effectiveness of the heater, after all, the size of the restrictions affects the velocity and air pressure. Increasing the opening should increase the air pressure into the dash plenum, but counterintuitive lay, it will simultaneously reduce the velocity of the air. So the air could be perceived to be slower or more anemic coming out of the ducts. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The dash vents are much more restrictive. Without opening those up, I can't believe there will be a measurable different.

The bulkhead hole is 4.5" X 3.25" = 14.6 square inches.
The vents are 1.75" x 2.25" = 7.9 square inches for both.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've always been very interested by the shape and cut outs in the stock AC under dash unit. There are restrictor plates behind every vent, with small holes on the passenger side near the blower, and larger holes on the drivers side further away.

Also, the under dash holes are not the only heater holes because there are the two pipes that lead to the defroster vents.

I wonder if the dash plenum actually build up pressure or if it just acts like a big sloppy distribution pipe. The pumping losses aren't really relevant, but I'm still really curious as to how it all works out.

Jsbriggs, you sound like an engineer, maybe you could model it for us? :D

Old March 30th, 2015, 03:46 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

There is also a mod to put a bigger fan Into the housing, this fan blows more cfm so would capitolise on the larger hole.. I think there was a thread on this board but it is a fairly common mod in England.. And it's an ac delco part from memory
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You can get a GM fan to replace the Rover fan to increase the flow. It is almost a direct replacement. #35333 Factory Air
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As you probably noticed, the link was to my pics. For those skeptical, I can tell you first hand that between the blower upgrade and the enlarged cutout my heater will knock your socks off (well, in Rover terms that is...but going from "asthmatic kitten breath" to "normal air flow" seems like a monumental upgrade).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 30th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Nice! Sounds like the fan is worth it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, heater, mod