D90 Heater - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:14 AM
1997 D90 SW
D90 Heater

I've recently purchased a '94 D90 and understand the heat output is marginal at best. Any suggestions for a better blower/heater set up or recommendation on an auxiliary unit. The truck doesn't have A/C and I won't mind sweating it out this summer but don't want to be cold in the winter.

Old April 29th, 2013, 09:28 AM
William Skidmore
1994 D90
There is a running thread on this which I think is in the small projects section. One way is to open the hole in the bulkhead more to increase the amount of air coming into the dash. Another is to place a stronger motor in place of the factory one.

At the end of the thread that I mentioned one of the guys (if I understood correctly) seems to have found that if you increase the size of the wires that the fan blows stronger, something to due with ohms and resistance.

Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:17 AM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
The stocker heaters are fine, certainly for Cincinnati. They need a tune up every now and then to get them working. If you don't mind a bit of fab work, better ones can be added fairly easily.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:45 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384
Heat has never been an issue in my truck. Can't say the same about the opposite. One way to make airflow more from the heater is to put an intake in place of the grill on the passenger side wingtop. Creates a bit of a ram air effect and definitely increases the volume of air.
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:01 PM
1998 Defender CSW, 1963 series 2a
The heaters on defenders are cable operated and sometimes the Outer sleeve and inner cable can get jammed, gummed up, which doesnít allow the internal flap to operate properly, if you can get some release oil into the cable and work it in it might help.
Check the pipes to the heater, if one is warm or hot and the other is cold your matrix might be blocked, your matrix just needs to be flushed out.
Next thing to check is your cable set up correct, remove the cable at the heater end itís the one on the top, check if the internal flap is moving O.K, get your engine warm and switch on your heater fan, turn by hand the flap control and check if its blowing hot or cold and set your cable, just make sure the flap control is fully open or closed.
I hope that helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

d90, heater