D90 head gasket lead--which one? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

D90 head gasket lead--which one?

I recently built up a 4.6 and coolant was coming out more than it should--I got a kit from Napa that checks for exhaust gasses and it appears that I have a leaking head gasket. Question is, which one? I have tried pressurizing the system and seeing if any coolant enters a cylinder, but nope. I unhooked one bank of injectors at a time and retested, but came up with the same leaking result. Does any one know of a good test to determine which bank it is? Or, if not, is one bank more suseptible to leaking? I was anal when assembling this engine, so this is a surprise to me.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd start with a compression and leakdown test of the cylinders to check for a pressure leakage. Also, check the torque on all the head bolts as well as the intake manifold bolts.

Also, if you can get ahold of a borescope type thing and look down into the cylinders, any cylinder with coolant getting into it would have a cleaner cylinder if the engine has a lot of miles on it. If you are leaking that much coolant, it may even drip down into the cylinders so that you can see it with this method.

It may also be a porous engine block, which the 4.6's supposedly have sometimes.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

That is good advice, but the compression test did not have any conclusive results. The torque on all the bolts is correct (I cannot check the torque on the head bolts because they are a torque then add 180 rotation kind). The engine is very low mileage.

I will check into a leakdown test. Other than that, I will probably replace the passenger gasket since I can do that very easily and see if there is any change. If it is not it, then do the drivers. If still no change, I might as well just kick my own ass.

Actually, I sure would like to deduce the exact problem before digging into it. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Chris, does it matter if you do the compression test with a hot or cold engine? Just an idea. And my old 3.9 blew exhaust into the coolant at random times mostly when I was on the highway for more then 35 min, sometimes more then others, I had a ghetto setup to recover the overflowing coolant and I never lost any coolant I was always able to fill the system back up with what blew out. What I am getting at is the coolant may not be leaking into the engine at all, the engine may just pressurize the coolant and overflow it out onto the ground, you may have an intermittent problem like I had, I never bothered to fix it as it wasn't that big of a deal to me. Just another idea, can you pressurize the cylinder to see if it blows into the coolant? Man I think we both should have gone Diesel!
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Chris, its probably too late now, but if you did the tear down of the engine as well, I would have a good look at the old head gaskets. If there is a flaw in the "trueness" of the top of a head now, it was probably there before too.

Just a thought.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bad head, dropped liner.
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:52 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Just a follow up--I replaced the head gaskets and so far, so good, symtoms gone. FWIW.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, gas