D90 gas tank hole fix - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Reviving this thread since I have a hole in a steel gas tank I'd like to patch. is this Marine-tex epoxy still the recommended method, even for steel tanks, and will it withstand the abuse of bouncing around off-road? My hole is at the bottom of the tank.

I'd love to weld it, but it sounds like truly purging it is really hard.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/janey_rear_c...ember/DSC03726

thanks,
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

In ended up using the Marine-Tex epoxy, and over a year and a half later it is still there just like I first put it on. The stuff is really easy to use -- just mix it in a 5:1 ratio with the enzyme included and spread it on the hole. Thanks again for all the advice (except the blow torch idea!).
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Well I've actually had this problem. The OE tank is made of a plastic that is not reparable by any means that I was able to find (A-Frame punctured it at full compression). I went to shops and plastic welders, etc. Nobody had a solution and any of the things I tried including heating and bending did not work. The tank actually weakened and then became extremely brittle after I heated it so I wouldn't recommend that method. I also tried sanding and fiberglassing a patch (this was the best solution, but short lived as the Diesel started dissolve the adhesive). I also have the added problem of using Diesel which dissolves nearly everything. Considering the above I ended up going with a custom aluminum marine fuel cell as it was a much less expensive solution. I think the tank cost about $500 with a custom pickup and sender (talk to Safari Rover) as he knows the shop as he had it made for me.

Go to a boat builder and have them help you on finding a local shop that can manufacture a tank for you if you don't call Safari Rover. Keep in mind if you go with an aluminum cell that ethanol in fuel will pit and destroy it, at concentrations greater than 10%. The boat builders around here in FL will tell you that even 10% will ruin the aluminum (our Govt. says it's not a problem, but I wouldn't trust them with a pair of safety scissors no less my Rover's health).

Good luck and whatever you do do it safely.
S-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I plastic welded a plastic NAS D90 fuel tank. Worked perfectly.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Irish spring bar of soap. Rub it over the hole and it will stop the leak for a few days. Keep a bar in the truck for just such an occasion.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I think he wanted a more permanent fix. Anyway, for future searchers, here are pictures of the welding - the patch is stronger than the rest of the tank.

http://gallery.lhsw.com/view_album.p...=d90_fuel_tank

I bought a "fender repair kit" but it's essentially just a soldering iron with a foot on it and you use polyethylene filler rods.
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

My tank is the original OEM plastic tank and again, so far so good with the Marine-Tex. However, I do like the Irish Spring quick fix idea (might even clean the fuel filter and injectors and give them that fresh & clean scent!)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, gas, gas tank