d90 front suspension??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

d90 front suspension???

Right now I am running 2in RTE springs and rancho 9207 shocks. The shocks only have a 9.25 in travel. If I put the 9012 shocks on there am I going to run into other problems? If so what are they, and how can I achieve a little more travel in the front? Currently I have cones in the rear, but am going to go with EE spring retainers all the way around. Suggestions??

thanks
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

I know some of you have to be running 12" travel shocks up front. I have searched, and read as much as I can on it on the forum, but really can't find anything that says what other mods are a must if you do this. It seems there are a lot of SG 3 links with external shock mounts, but can't find any info on long travel shock in stock location. Anyone running this set up?
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

You can run 12's up front but you will need front cones. I have 2 inch RTE springs, 12 inch bilstiens front and back but make sure you measure the collapsed length of the shock and you distance btw. the mounts at full compression. I also have RTE mounts. I know I had to fit a "short body" shock to make it work and at full compression I probably have 3/4 inch of the shock piston remaining so it's close. I think I bought my front cones from 4x4 adventure gear but I dont know if they are still around. I think EE sells a pair too.

Just my opinion but 12 inches is really too long in the front. It keeps blowing out bushings all through the front suspension. Maybe it's another problem but it seems like it has to do with the articulation of the front axle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, front suspension