D90 ExMOD 2.5 NA SW Stalling out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

D90 ExMOD 2.5 NA SW Stalling out

Hey Guys,
I hope someone out there can help me out. I have a D90 ExMOD 2.5 NA that i use as a daily driver.
Recently, it has started to stall out when i am driving.. does not happen (or at least has not happened yet) when ideling.
when i am driving everything feels normal, and sounds normal. I have not noticed any change in engine performance. There is not sputtering, sluggish responce, or bucking, runs nice and smooth. It also starts with no issues. When it stalls, the engine just dies, there is no hessitation. one minute running, next minute it is 'off'. almost like i turned the key off. When it stalls, i do not lose power, the lights don't flicker or go off (only electrics in the car ) . I can restart it fine, with no issues, and continue to drive. This problem is starting to happen more often. This happened to me once a couple months ago, but never happend again so i dismissed it. But over the last couple days, it has become a chronic issue.
Details of vehicle:
as stated it is a ExMOD 2.5 na.
It has not had any mods done to the engine or the truck,
other then installing an Eberspacher heater into it.
obviously has no computer, ecu or other electrical system, other then ignition, charging and 'lights'
I would greatful for any insight that would help fix this issue...
craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
flaky fuel cutoff solenoid. or "ignition" switch.
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:58 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I agree. I had the wire to the cutoff solenoid break off within the insulation, it sputtered occasionally and then died while going 50 mph down the road.
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2011, 01:59 AM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Ren,
Thanks for the advice. I am going to check to see if i can find it in the 'service manual' so that i can track it down and see if there is a wiring issue to it... also, you have in " " ignition switch.. what do you mean by that?

Kevin,
thanks for the response. Did you replace the solenoid, or just the wire to it? and do you know where you can find this part?

thanks
c
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:35 AM
paulnb57
Paul Beckwith
92 D90 300tdi hard top rebuild

As has been said above - Id check the connection and wiring to and on the fuel stop solenoid on the engine. Wiggle the wire while its ticking over....failing that the ignition switch (on the steering column that you insert your key into) could be worn out causing the engine to think its been switched off and activating the stop solenoid.

Good Luck

Paul

Eat Drink Play, After death there is no pleasure.
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:59 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

When the engine is running "OK", turn it off, pop the hood, and on the FIP you'll see one wire going to the solenoid. with the ignition in the on position (so you get the warning lights etc on the dash), pull the spade terminal off, you should hear a faint "click" as the solenoid energises and de-energises. once you hear this you know what to look for in the future.

Now, in the future, when the engine stops dead, don't touch the ignition switch, pop the hood, pull off the spade terminal again and hear for the click. this will tell you if the solenoid is working.
Also, stick a voltmeter in the wire and onto an earth point. should be a good 12v there. you cna the wiggle the ign switch and see if the 12v re-appears.
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:31 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Everyone, thanks for the reply's...
I am hoping that some of you come back to read this reply...
I have found the "Fuel cutoff solenoid" on the back of the fuel injection pump.
I played with the connection while the vehicle was ideling, and it did not shut off.
I then pulled the wire, truck then shut off as it does when it stalls.
I also played, wiggeling wires, and such on the ignition switch (MOD type), did not stall.
SO my question is, the truck does not stall when ideling, only when driving...It appears not to be the connection at the FIP, but i am not sure where to trace this wire back to to test the other end.. Suggestions?
Also do the solenoids fail like this, or are they a on off type of failure.. ie they either work or they do not...
the reason i ask is rovers north is looking for 250.00 ish for this part... seems like an extreme rip off.
c
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

You need to join http://www.alre.ca/Forum/forum.htm The guys there can hook you up with help and parts in Edmonton and cheap to.

------ Follow up post added February 11th, 2011 07:05 PM ------

I should also add that I've had the same thing happen with a exmil 90 and it turned out to be crap floating around in the fuel tank sucking onto the fuel pickup then falling off when the engine stopped so that it would restart like nothing had happened. I changed the lift pump and the injection pump before I figured it out.
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

HeadDamage,
hmm that is great information, I am actually a member of the ALRE club, but have never been to the forum.
I will have to post there as well.
Also good advice on the crude in the tank... I am not sure how i would test for that, any suggestions?
also i thought that if it was an issue with crud in the tank, that it would sputter/hessitate etc.. not just a clean shut off?
I am going to replace the ignition switch, they are pretty cheap... and take alook into your suggestions..
thanks again
c
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trybul View Post
Everyone, thanks for the reply's...
I am hoping that some of you come back to read this reply...
I have found the "Fuel cutoff solenoid" on the back of the fuel injection pump.
I played with the connection while the vehicle was ideling, and it did not shut off.
I then pulled the wire, truck then shut off as it does when it stalls.
I also played, wiggeling wires, and such on the ignition switch (MOD type), did not stall.
SO my question is, the truck does not stall when ideling, only when driving...It appears not to be the connection at the FIP, but i am not sure where to trace this wire back to to test the other end.. Suggestions?
Also do the solenoids fail like this, or are they a on off type of failure.. ie they either work or they do not...
the reason i ask is rovers north is looking for 250.00 ish for this part... seems like an extreme rip off.
c
Bizarre. I bought that same part from RN about 5 years ago and it was about $55 if I remember right. Yes, they do fail, but when mine failed it wasn't intermittent. Rather, it didn't work at all. You might try Trevor at RovahFarm.
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I had virtually the same symptoms with my 200 tdi defender. The truck ran fine and it would just instantly shut off. The problem wound up being the fuel shutoff solenoid rather than the wire to it. A new solenoid at a major parts provider in the states was a stunning $195. I purchased 2 aftermarket replacements from M&M 4x4 in the UK for about $18 a piece. Replaced the solenoid and the problem was completely corrected. Now I have a spare if the problem crops up again. I've been running good for months however. I am told these valves are prone to failure.
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

As a "get you by" fix, you can remove the solenoid (you may need to butcher a spanner with the griner to make the edges of it slim enough to fit into the back of the pump) then remove the spring and plunger, then refit the solenois outer casing.

you'll now have to stall the engine to stop it (stick it in 5th gear, foot on the brake then lift the clutch) but at least you won't have the engine stopping all the time.

As an afterthought, you could run a piggy back wire, from the solenoid, up to your dash via a small 12v warning light, then to ground.

When the engine next cuts out of its own accord, if this light stays lit, then you know that the electrics are OK and it's the solenoid itself causing the problems.

my guess is it's the ignition switch itself.
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Ignition switch. I had this happen gradually in my 2.25 converted to 200 tdi. If you wiggled the key when it happened on the highway it would start back up instantly if you caught it before it totally shut off. Started happening more frequently and then would happen at start up. I'd move the key to the second position and it would just cut off instantly after the glow plugs and all the electrics got power. Wiggle the key and it would go on and off. Replaced ignition switch and problem ceased to exist.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:50 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage View Post

I should also add that I've had the same thing happen with a exmil 90 and it turned out to be crap floating around in the fuel tank sucking onto the fuel pickup then falling off when the engine stopped so that it would restart like nothing had happened. I changed the lift pump and the injection pump before I figured it out.
I had the same thing happen, took a long time to figure out
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Hmm ,
Ok i have ordered a new ignition switch, and solenoid.. hoping that takes care of it..
Question, how did you find out it was stuff in the tank? and did you have the tank for a while? and once you did find out, how did you fix it? new tank?
c
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:55 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I took the fuel pick-up out the tank straight after it had been running and there was a bird's nest of rubbish all round the filter on the end of the pickup. The filter is a push fit. I threw the filter away, later models don't have it, then used a 20 mm plastic tube to syphon out the crap at the bottom through the fuel pick-up hole in the top of the tank. Hope this helps.
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

mike,
not sure that i follow, the gas tank for my truck is under the passanger seat, and then it has a fuel filter by the rear tire and one more at the engine...
wich one did you look at after running it?
c
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Early 90's had a strainer/filter on the end of the pick up pipe in the tank. That's what blocked up on mine.
You have to un-screw the fuel pipe from the top of the tank and pull it out to see it.
I took it off and threw it away, the inline cartridge filters are more than able to intercept any crap before it gets to the pump & injectors.
Hope this helps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, mod