D90 Exhaust Lifetime - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:47 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

D90 Exhaust Lifetime

Just out of curiosity.....does anyone know what the "average" lifetime of the exhuast on the NAS D90's? I know that they all come with the 8/80 plan, but that really isn't a great indacator of it's durablity. I've 90K on the clock and was just pondering when I should swap it out for a new system versus running the stock exhaust into the ground. Thanks.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:57 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

DJ,

My system went on my 97 two weeks ago. The right cat rusted thru. I ponied up for the NRP. I like it. No idea as to how long the OEM system should last. Longest time I went here in the midwest was 8 yrs. Course that was on a VW and I didn't take care of it as nearly as well as the SW. FWIW.

EwS
Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mine is still hanging on at 131k - the right cat has started rattling though. I'm trying to nurse it along until I diesel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
my tail pipe is rusted all to hell... i think the muffler is getting cashed almost 45k
Old December 23rd, 2003, 04:49 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Jim

Mine is begging to rattle quite a bit, especially when I run through 2000 rpm's on my way from 2nd to 3rd. I wonder if the mounts are just giving or the resin in the cat is giving up the ghost?

Any Idea's guys?

DJ
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:26 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

I have 93K and no probs with the cats or manifolds that I can tell. It spent 70K around P-Town and Sheridan, OR and some in South America? Summary - you know - wet.
I had a muffler shop do the Muffler back (Flowmaster) total $220.
It put a great big smile on my face when it all came together.
I suggest at least this portion asap for kicks if you haven't already.
I opted to leave the exhaust attached to the engine until I break it. Aftermarket seals, work, and such just seem a little shady. Justmyopinion.
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:58 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mine rattles mainly at idle and takeoff. When I took the truck in for its belated 120k mile service, I asked the dealer to confirm the source of the rattle. They charged me 48 dollars to answer the question, and said it was the passenger side cat with the solution being replacement. I'm just not interested in replacing it for big dollars, and the local muffler shops dont seem interested in welding up a generic replacement like is indicated in the Tech Articles section. Alas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, exhaust