D90 Door Window Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
D90 Door Window Problem

For some reason my window will not go down smoothly. The window will travel up just fine without any problems.

When I am rolling it down it begins fine, and will go down about 8 inches without any hesitation. The last 6 inches (up) while traveling down is very tough. It almost feels wedged or like it is rubbing on something. I have pulled the interior door panels off and cleaned out any random dirt from inside the interior of the door.

I can work the window all the way down, I just have to really take my time doing it. It does take a little force.

I cannot visually see any problems.

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2011, 01:34 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

Don't have an answer for you but mine does the same thing.
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

window probs

Not positive this is related, but I recently had my door card off to fix a similar problem. On my left (passenger) door the window wouldn't roll down the whole way. The door had been tweaked badly by the PO and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it. Long story short, a friend was riding with me and decided to force it when he met some resistance. There was a clunk and then the window rolled the rest of the way down, but now would not return all the way up.

What had happened was that inside the door there's a horizontal stiffener or brace or something that is flush up against the door skin (likely sealed to the door skin with body sealer or something. Mine had gotten tweaked inwards causing the small bolts that attach the clips which hold the glass to the regulator to hang up on it as it went down, or after forcing it, up. Bend the brace outward (CAREFULLY so as not to push the door skin out) and problem solved. OK, yeah, you get to replace all the little posts which snapped off when you removed the door card too, but you get the picture.

I'm thinking if that's not the problem you are having, your regulator gear may be bad, worn, missing teeth or something...

Hope that helps.

-Gardner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Thinking about your window issue, I wonder if it may also be the inside sliding surface of the track coming off.

As I recall from refinishing/rebuilding one of my sets of doors a few years ago, the windows slide in a track that is coated on the inside with a soft "seal" velour-like material. If it's starting to peel or otherwise come apart, it may be dragging and bunching up as the window goes down. Perhaps? Am I remembering their construction correctly?

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
I did order a new regulator last night, however I am not sold at all that its the problem. Nor is the vertical track inside the door panel on either side in bad shape. You can see all of this with the interior paneling off. Still trouble shooting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, door, window