Defender Source Forum banner

D90 died. Any ideas what it could be?

Tags
90 d90
887 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DMSLongLake 
#1 ·
So D90 ran out of gas since I havent driven it in 3 months. As I turned it on today I noticed I had no gas so I headed over to gas station. A mile into the drive I ran out of gas. Filled a 1 gallon gas jug then went to gas station to fill up. All was going well so I continued using my rover to run errands, then it starting sputtering as if I was running out of gas again. As I tried and turn it on again the fuel pump made a deeper sound rather than its usual high pitch whine. Did I fry my fuel pump when I ran out of gas? All help appreciated.

Rick

1997 D90

#2 ·
Probably. The gas lubricates them. If its old and was on the verge anyway, you probably tipped it over the edge.

Slight chance it could be a blocked fuel filter and its an easy, cheap check. Worth putting a new one in anyway even if you do the pump as well. Maybe you sucked up a load of crud from the bottom of the tank.

#3 ·
ian seems right on change your filter and fill the tank all the way this time. If you dont use your truck oftern crud and
condensation can build up.
the truck could have sucked these up.

#4 ·
On that note, if it sat for a long time, then the gas probably went skunky too. When I store my truck over the winter, the last few weeks before I store it, I drive it a LOT and fill it to the top with Shell 91 octane, which in my area has NO ethanol in it. Ethanol is great for burning a little cleaner, or stretching out our planet's fuel supply, but it will go skunky if you let it sit. (try it - get a couple of Jerry cans and fill one with 15% ethanol 85 octane, and another with 91 octane 0% ethanol - let them sit for 6 months, and then take a sniff... the 85 octane smells bad.)

Learned this trick from guys with outboard boat motors who only use a little bit of gas on their sailboats... some of their gas is YEARS old and as long as it has no ethanol, then it stays good. No idea what the chemistry is behind this, but hey - it seems to work.

#6 ·
Make sure you put stabil in the fuel and drive it around a bit before storing.

If it is a rare-use vehicle, it would not hurt to always run some stabil in it...

I fill mine with non-ethanol and Stabil prior to storage in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.