d90 dead 4 hours from home! head gasket? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:27 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Angry d90 dead 4 hours from home! head gasket?

hey everybody,
I'm in a perdicament. I was driving from cleveland to charleston, pulling a trailer when my truck began to run warm. When I check it out- I realize that I have no coolant left. I took out the thermostat and filled it back up with water. I limp to the next exit about twenty miles away, by that point my heater was blowing cold again and the coolant was gone. I checked my oil and have no noticable water mixed in. When I refilled it again I could see steam coming from my exhaust- it wasn't leaking to the ground from the engine, but there was some pooled up under the plenum. I didn't want to hole a piston or melt my heads so I left it and had the trailer picked up. I don't know what to do at this point- I'm debating renting a uhaul car trailer and picking it up. I'm sure this is gonna be expensive- and I have never taken this truck back to a mechanic after getting screwed once. I have about 170,000 miles on it as well. I'm pretty mechanicle so I think I can do this. Has anyone else here done the gasket themselves? I know I should have the heads milled- but is there anything else? Should I use a composite gasket? I need some advice! I would love to go ahead and swap in the 4.6- but my pockets are a little shallow right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

You've at least blown your head gasket. Do NOT run it at all until it's been fixed as the dead rangie in my driveway can attest to, running it after it's overheated will warp your block and leave you with a large british paperweight. That said, getting the heads off is really pretty darn easy, and the full gasket kit is under $150. with that mileage, you'll want to get your heads done as well ($300-$400).

Good luck,

Tony
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would bet on a leak not a blown gasket.

Check ALL the hoses, the heater core, the intake gasket.

You can't lose that much coolant from a head gasket, at least in my experience.

Ron
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It was the steam from the exhaust that made me think head gasket, and since he couldn't see it leaking to the ground. . .

$.02
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:47 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

I checked all the hoses and heater and everything. there was some fluid that had come from the expansion tank.
thanks
brian

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, gas