D90 Clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2014, 01:06 PM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

D90 Clutch

So, I went to take a ride in the 90 this weekend and I couldn't get her to go in to gear. The clutch feels like there's nothing there. I had the slave cylinder replaced about 2.5 years ago. Is it telling me now that maybe my master cylinder is gone?? Just an fyi...no leakage that I can find anywhere.

Any suggestions/thoughts, appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2014, 01:20 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
How often do you drive it? This old tech likes lots of attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
More information needed....

Is there any fluid loss in the reservoir? Are you saying you can push the pedal and there is no resistance, or can you not push the pedal at all?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
More information needed....

Is there any fluid loss in the reservoir? Are you saying you can push the pedal and there is no resistance, or can you not push the pedal at all?

I can push the pedal and there is slight resistance. When I look in the reservoir I don't see fluid. Should you see fluid to the top? I am no mechanic.

As for how often I drive it - I know you guys hate to hear this, but this vehicle is mainly a weekender during the spring/summer/fall months.
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, the reservoir should be full of fluid, so it has leaked out and you now have air in the system. Add some fluid and, if needed, bleed it to get it working.

Look in the footwell below the clutch pedal for a master cylinder leak. Look at the bellhousing drain for a slave cylinder leak.

If replacing....make sure you use OEM branded cylinders ONLY. No-name brand ones have a very high failure rate. It is best to replace both slave and master at the same time along with the flex hose.

Old October 20th, 2014, 02:17 PM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

Quote:
Yes, the reservoir should be full of fluid, so it has leaked out and you now have air in the system. Add some fluid and, if needed, bleed it to get it working.

Look in the footwell below the clutch pedal for a master cylinder leak. Look at the bellhousing drain for a slave cylinder leak.

If replacing....make sure you use OEM branded cylinders ONLY. No-name brand ones have a very high failure rate. It is best to replace both slave and master at the same time along with the flex hose.

Thank you! I will give that a try. Any suggestion on brand fluid?

As for the cylinders, I am almost 100% sure the mechanic replaced both cylinders and he buys from RN.
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Pay once and cry once. I went round and round with "off brand" hydraulic parts and will NEVER do that again.
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Any DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid is fine, IMO.

RN sells aftermarket and genuine parts, so it could be either. If they are the no-name Chinese knockoffs, it is not unexpected that one has failed.

If only one cylinder was replaced, then hopefully it is the other one that has gone. If it is the master, then normally filling up will get it working and no bleeding is needed. If it has leaked into the footwell, get it cleaned up as the brake fluid eats the paint very quickly.

Old October 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

You can also look into having them resleeved--that will pretty much last for life and is the best way to go. There are threads here you can search for the companies that do it...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, clutch, d90