D90 aftermarket wheels - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

D90 aftermarket wheels

These aren't that common, looking for suggestions. Need 8" or wider. Would prefer to stick with 16" rims. Would love to find some hubcentric alloy options. Thinking that about +10mm offset would get them out from under the body a little. Really like the Mach 5 and Zu rims that are available in the UK but not here. Yeah, I know.... good luck. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

wheels

steve at safarirover can order you a set of the Zu rims...nice but not cheap with the exchange rate.
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

I guess I forgot to qualify the Zu liking with the fact that they don't offer the size I need for my '94. I've had one response to my Mach 5 inquiry to a British dealer, but when you mix the cost with the exchange rate, with the shipping it get's pretty crazy. Maybe I should see what Steve can do on the Mach 5's?

Found some great looking KMC beadlocks, but wouldn't want the hassle with getting the vehicle inspected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
I'm dealing with the same problem now and after getting a set of black steelies from paddock spares and bending them I can't find an alloy on with the 5 on 6.5 pattern that is 16x8. At this point after talking extensively with Stephen (Safari Rover) we have determined that the best course of action is probably to get a 1" spacer and change the bolt pattern to a Toyota, Jeep, or F-250 pattern to yield the most extensive and least expensive alloy wheel options. We haven't found out the cost of the spacers yet, but considering that it would mean buying a cheaper wheel I'll probably still end up better off as far as the wallet goes plus the number of options will be great as I'm picky (i.e. no bling, function only).

I did find these, but I have no idea what the cost is (assuming more than ZU or Mach 5).

http://www.ventureoverland.com/index...d=30&Itemid=53

S-P
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Defenderbuser
Chuck Duncan
1994 D90 Softop

Those are pretty cool looking; I hadn't seen them. I bet that if the price doesn't get you, the freight will!
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

I love those wheels. If you get a price for them plus shipping (ugh) would you post it on the board. I am very curious!
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaystan
I love those wheels. If you get a price for them plus shipping (ugh) would you post it on the board. I am very curious!
available in the U.S. here: http://www.outbacktx1.com/ or more specifically: http://www.vtoperformance.com/acatal..._90___110.html

$220/wheel for 16x8

I'm currently looking at getting Pro-comp cast alloy wheels on special right now for $225 for 5 http://www.tirepackage.com/Wheels/Se...n=PXA8089-6886

it's a little bling but I plan on painting it flat black like these:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...chmentid=21310
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsom_D2
Hey Guys,

I think I can get those rims brand new here in Vancouver, Canada (VTO Rims from Australia)...a fellow i know just offered those to me for $1,550 CDN, his cost. They are real sweet; but i opted for the Gloss black ZU rims!

ZU's will be here on Thursday!

I had the VTO's lined up next to my truck (94 AA Yellow ST) (they are darker gray almost black than the ones in the pic)

If interested i can talk to him Thursday for ya...oh yeaah, that was for 5!

Cheers,

Tim
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Curious as to what tire you guys are planning on running that makes you feel a 16x7 just wont do but a 16x8 is worth spending money on? LR alloys hold the bead better than anything but a true beadlock, giving this feature up is something to consider.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90
Hey Guys,

I think I can get those rims brand new here in Vancouver, Canada (VTO Rims from Australia)...a fellow i know just offered those to me for $1,550 CDN, his cost.
At current exchange rates that's ~$1503 US or ~$300/wheel... buying them from the US distributor obviously is cheaper at $220/wheel

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Curious as to what tire you guys are planning on running that makes you feel a 16x7 just wont do but a 16x8 is worth spending money on? LR alloys hold the bead better than anything but a true beadlock, giving this feature up is something to consider.
For me it's mostly about the backspacing being crap on standard alloys and replacing the wheels actually being cheaper than spacers... that extra inch also gives you a lot of extra tire choices if you like to folow manufacturer recommendations for minimum width
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:28 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Didn't see the post before mine...slow typer!

Ha, Everything in Canada is more expensive...they are a nice rim though.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Have you seen the one Justin www.lucky8llc.com had at MAR?

Check with him, they are monstrous

( can't find the pic, but check with him )
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

http://www.maddison4x4.com/content/view/23/19/ these are also another option and from the look of them will do what you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
At current exchange rates that's ~$1503 US or ~$300/wheel... buying them from the US distributor obviously is cheaper at $220/wheel

Follow-up Post:

For me it's mostly about the backspacing being crap on standard alloys and replacing the wheels actually being cheaper than spacers... that extra inch also gives you a lot of extra tire choices if you like to folow manufacturer recommendations for minimum width
Spacers aren't that expensive and I find going on the low end or lower than manufacturers width recs helps with holding the bead too.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Sweet about the TX-1 having a US distributor, even with cheap wheels the additional cost of the spacers will make it cost at least as much as the TX-1. I didn't even think about the Dukes of Hazzard similarity, but after growing up watching the show it makes them even more appealing.

bharris as for the pro-comp wheel I did try to purchase them from 4wheelparts, but they are no longer in production, so if that guy has em he has the last ones out there (don't bend one). I even went so far as to call procomp. They also don't have the right center diameter to fit over the massive rovertrax Toy conversion hubs and allow for easy axle removal, hence my interest in the TX-1.

In order to run a 35 (LT315/75R16 in my case) you need an 8" wide wheel. Unfortunately, in the US we don't get the skinny tire options they have across the pond which I personally prefer.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

35x10.5-16 SSR
Q78 TSL
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
They have a bit of a 'Dukes of Hazzard' look to them. -Jeff
That was my exact reaction, as well.
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a set of 16x7 steel wheels with 36x12.50 TSL Radials on them and they fit great. I also bought a beadlock kit from great lake offroad to weld onto the wheels, which would widen them another 1-1.5 inches. As far as hassle with inspections, I cant believe that would honestly be much of an issue down here with a truck like yours.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
http://www.maddison4x4.com/content/view/23/19/ these are also another option and from the look of them will do what you need.
Those are Allied beadlocks.

http://www.high-impact.net/wheels/ca...land_rover.htm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, wheel, wheels