D110 with Discovery Powertrain Possible? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If you are going to build a 4.6 using the 4.6 crankshaft, rods and pistons, you will need a 4.0 four bolt main block from 1996 on.

I have done this conversion - swapping out the LT95 for the 5spd and LT230. No modifications to the frame are necessary with the mounting holes in the frame all in the right spot. You will need the mounting brackets for the new trans/transfercase. The existing crossmember will work fine as well as the exhaust system as long as you use your existing manifolds. The driveshafts also did not need to be changed, they worked too.

You only need to change the crossmember if you change the way your exhaust is routed. The crossmember does not support anything.

------ Follow up post added March 15th, 2012 03:54 PM ------

You will need a a different (5spd) transmission tunnel cover and floorboards. I modified the seatbase to accept the new tunnel cover but you can source the later style if prefered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Having put a d1 drivetrain into a 90 it works with minimal tweaking. Keep the ecu wiring to the O2 sensors. Replace rear propshaft

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Awesome input guys thank you.

After calling up to D&D and a few places that had reconditioned 4.6's I realized that it was not in this years budget to go 4.6.

I ended up with a 3.9 distributer motor, ordered another Edelbrock set up from D&D, new clutch kit, plus the disco R380/ LT230 thats back home, and it looks like right around $2700. Plus some for accessories if the 3.5 ones don't transfer over well, and a gasket kit.

So if I have brackets on my R380 those should line up with the cross member in the 110? After everything is in and the propshafts are not the correct length is there a reference that has prop shaft lengths for the various models and years anywhere?

thanks again,
Oscar
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

When I did my conversion - swapped out the LT95 for the R380/LT230, I did not have to drill any holes in my original frame. The new brackets used the existing holes in the frame rails. I did not have to change my driveshafts as the new trans/transfer combo was the same length as the old LT95. I don't know of an interchange chart so I guess you would have to check part numbers if you decide you need new ones.

I'm sure you are going to be happy with the conversion and the 3.9 will do well. My 110 has much better highway manners than it did with the old LT95 without sacrificing any offroad abilitiy.
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
The 83 110 we put the 95 D1 stuff into was pretty much a straight swap as well. I thought we had used the D1 trans xmember but I must be getting old and senile as it looks like it wouldn’t fit and I can’t remember modifying it. Thought we had to do it to clear the D1 Y-Pipe but I guess not. It was an LT95 we took out of the 110 as well. We rebuilt the driveshafts and re-used them. We paid $700 for the donor D1 and then refreshed the engine. Call it $1500 for the engine, trans and EFi stuff plus a lot of little bits and pieces that we scrounged off the disco.

If you go the stock 3.9 route with the EFi as I said then you have a few more little issues to iron out. Mostly electrickey but also stuff like the EVAP and fuel system. If you throw a carb on and ditch the EFi then you can bypass most of these. If you do that you may have issues putting an Auto in though due to lack of idle control. Your R380 Stick will be no problem.
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

Yes you probably did use a modified crossmember if you used the D1 Y-pipe because of the catalytic converters. With no cats, the early 110 V8s had the exhaust going over top of the crossmember.
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I know we used the Y-Pipe because of the cats and O2 bungs and I was fairly sure I remembered that the LT95 Xmember was an issue. Was pretty certain we just pinched the one off the donor Disco and bolted it up. Maybe we had to drill it on the lower edges for the deeper frame, and I don’t remember doing it. Whatever we did it wasn’t major or I would remember.

I know the engine and trans bolted straight up to the stock locations using the Disco brackets. No drilling required. It was an auto but that shouldn’t make any difference.

Can’t remember if there is a difference between the flywheels on an auto vs. stick 3.9. It’s been a long time since I looked at a stick flywheel. If you remove the flex plate and boss will a clutch bolt up or is it a different flywheel? Just trying to see if he’s going to run into probs with his new 3.9 (if it came out of an auto) and his R380 that he needs to be aware of.

Aren’t ‘bitsa’ Land Rovers fun? One of the world’s few remaining vehicular erector sets… J
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

A V8 manual transmission flywheel must be used and it will interchange fine. On very late engines like my 2003 4.6 there is a locater peg inserted in the crankshaft that gets in the way of the manual transmission flywheel and must be removed or just cut off flush. An automatic flex plate/flywheel won't work.

The only upcoming problem I see with his conversion is the gearstick location...Disco vs Defender. I used a Defender transmission so I have no experience that. I would guess a custom transmission tunnel would have to be fabbed up. It may just be easier/desirable to change out the parts on the transmission to move the gear stick around to the Defender style...I don't know.

I too am amazed at LR's engineering that allows so much of this stuff to be swapped around and bolted together.
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Great timing with the flywheel notes, I was going to post a few fly wheel questions yesterday. The 3.9 did not come with a flywheel. Is there a difference between the 3.5 and 3.9 mounting to the crank? My issues are I would like to order a clutch off the shelf for a 95 D1 and I'm not sure how the 3.5 flywheel would effect that if I decide to reuse it. Another question is if if I go with the 3.9 flywheel am I going to have starter issues? Hopefully they are interchangeable and it won't matter.

While the 3.9 is out what should be addressed? Compression numbers were 140s and one 130. It's about a 120k motor.

On the subject of gear selectors I would need to crack the case and swap out the selector shaft and change the selector fork(?) and find the selector tower thing. I have been able to find a shaft and fork. Aside from ashcroft is there anyyone in the US that could assist?

Thanks again,
Oscar
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

You should be able to use your flywheel from the 3.5 on the 3.9. I used my 3.5 flywheel on the 4.6 without any issues. The D1 clutch will work.

Sounds like the 3.9 is in good shape, I probably would just go with it and see how it does. You might want to put in a performance cam while you are changing intake manifolds but you would have to pull the front cover.

I don't have any experience with changing the transmission shifter around but I think you are on the right track.
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:36 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I know I'm reviving another old thread but at least I searched right?

Do you need to modify or change out the tranny tunnel on a 83 with a LT95 to fit the zf 4hp22 out of a RRC?

I want to try and accomplish the swap quickly and smoothly so I'm trying to prep the battlefield so to speak. I have a complete donor RRC(no not the hunter) to use for parts.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:39 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

FYI: the tunnel for an LT95 is very different than the one for an R380/LT230. Are you using a NAS/repro auto console or something custom?

edit: The NAS/repro consoles just go over the R380 tunnel right?
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Probably fab up something to mount the shifter to temporarily till I can source the right parts for that.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, cover, d110, disco, discovery