D110 Trans issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:14 PM
Johna56
john
none

D110 Trans issue

I bought an '86 D110 ex-mood with 2.5 Diesel LT77/230 a few months ago. I'm having my first real mechanical issue. I think I've narrowed it down but am requesting opinions.

The first time this happened, the tcase shifter jumped out of gear at a light as I was slowing down and then locked into 2wd lo. I suspect that I caused the tcase to lock up with my overzealous attempt to get the vehicle moving again because the mechanic did say he adjusted the linkages.

After driving the vehicle for about 15/20 minutes, it slides out of gear and will not go back in for awhile. The time that passes before it will engage again varies. Diesel mechanic confirmed the linkage are fine.

This has happened several times since the first time, but now it slides out of gear silently and will not re-engage until a period of time has passed. The period of time varies. When this happens, without depressing the clutch pedal, I am able to freely move the transfer case and the gearbox shifter all around with out grinding or engaging any gears in any way. 5-15 minutes will pass before I am able to engage the gearing.

I have some thoughts on this (slave cylinder, throw-out bearing) but would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar with their defenders and what they think the issue is.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:49 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Think what you are saying that the T-case jumped out of gear and you got it back in which is normal as this often happens after shifting when it is not all the way in.

I also think you have switched subjects to then indicate that in additional you are having shifting issues with the LT77, basically it goes out OK, but doesn't want to go in gear.
If so, this is most likely a clutch issue.
You might remedy it by adjusting the clutch rod at the clutch master cylinder or replacing the clutch hydraulics.
If some knucklehead filled the LT77 5 speed with 90 weight or ATF instead of MTF94 this shifting difficulty can also happen.

The "high performance" of the 2.5 coupled with shifting issues has to be dangerous to drive.
I once pulled out on the highway with a 2.5 N/A and a car 5 miles back nearly ran into the back of me.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:29 PM
Johna56
john
none

Yes. Potentially 2 issues. I need to figure out how to segregate and fix each issue or who to bring it to that can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2016, 08:38 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johna56 View Post
Yes. Potentially 2 issues. I need to figure out how to segregate and fix each issue or who to bring it to that can.
I don't think there is a transfer case issue.

There is a member on Long Is, NY that can sort your issues in his shop.
I can dig up his contact info if needed.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old May 31st, 2016, 09:09 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
I just want to clear up something you said above. All Defenders (all Land Rovers?) are 100% full time four wheel drive. The only way to make your Defender two wheel drive is to remove one of the driveshafts. (Which can be done, but makes drive oddly.)

Your Defender has 4WD high, 4WD low, and you can lock the "center diff" in both high and low.

Mike
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:47 PM
Johna56
john
none

rdavisinva, thank you. If you can forward the contact info i would appreciate it.

GuamPilot - Mike, Thanks for the clarification. After you wrote it, I recalled reading that someplace but its been a lot of reading and info so I know its going to take some time to retain it all. Is it correct to say the lt230 has 2wd high, 4wd lo, and then a "locked" 4wd high and 4wd lo? Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Is it correct to say the lt230 has 2wd high, 4wd lo, and then a "locked" 4wd high and 4wd lo? Thanks.
The LT230 has 4 modes: 4wd high, 4wd low, locked 4wd high, locked 4wd low.

There may have been some rare 2wd LT230s but you definitely do not have one.
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:28 PM
Johna56
john
none

Understood, I typing 2wd was an error. Thanks.
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:51 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
rdavisinva, thank you. If you can forward the contact info i would appreciate it.
Guy's name is Chris.
His handle is rovertek on this forum.

Old June 1st, 2016, 04:53 PM
Johna56
john
none

Thank you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, d110