D110 Second Row Seat Suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

D110 Second Row Seat Suggestions

Has anyone modified the bracket mounting for the second row seats on the 110. I have new brackets, but am very disappointed in the "twisting" and play in the seats, especially when tilting the seats forward. Along those lines, my seats seem to pivot, what I believe to be, too far forward. The seats actually hit the hardware on the driver/passenger seat and I have tears in the vinal backing. Anyone doing anything different in this area?

BTW, I second the idea of a D110 only section for issues like these, although I welcome the input of all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2006, 12:26 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

On a 110 Tdi:

1. I cannot lock mine in unless the bottom support is tilted forward. That puts all the weight on the locking mechanism and none on the bottom support!

2. The tear is from a metal extension on the front seats. You can cut if off. You can also stitch a piece of leather on the backing (top part) to offer more protection.

3. In the end the second row seat is CRAP! Slightly better than the NAS jump seats.Badger has ftited RR seats back there after modifying the bracket but I don't know if these offer good leg support. I know the fronts on my 93 LWB are very lacking in this. Also, you need to move them back to get good legroom. I don't know if Badger did this. It's not worth it if you can't get the legroom. Finally, ,I recall the Badger RR fronts were too tall and you need a smaller steering wheel.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
If I had the extra cash right now, I would rip the first and second row seats out, and replace them with a set of the 4 dormobile seats that recline to make two bed berths. That would be the bomb! I have one toddler with a second on the way, and with two baby seats in the second row, the 60/40 isn't going to accomodate anyone extra regardless. Plus, I like the idea of two rows bucket seats with space between both rows; it creates an isle along the length of the rover that would make it easier for someone on the road to go from the front to the rear without a lot of hassle. The final benifit would be with camping. the parents could sleep in the rooftop tent, while the kiddies are safe inside the vehicle sleeping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2006, 03:24 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I can wedge 3 car seats in my second row (actually 2 boosters and 1 baby seat) but it is tight and I have to fasten belts from the center out.

I did see a gray market 110 for sale on Ebay around 2 years ago that had twin buckets in the second row and I am pretty sure, if memory serves, that Jesse Ware had his 110 setup with dual 40s with an ARB fridge in the middle.

Once I hit that far down on my list (I think I am on step 7 of about 482) I am looking at something that is somewhere just in between these to from a functional and durability perspective. Once budget comes into play, I may just wind up wth a d-90 rear bench for the 3rd row.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I just finished replacing the rear bench with two Cobra LeMans single reclining seats (matching a set of new front seats installed at the same time), with custom brackets. I now have an aisle in between the second row seats. Also made a cut-out into the wheel wells to push the seats backwards another 6 inches to give legroom. Relocated the jump seats to make room for the shift in location. The whole thing worked out great, but not cheap. Anyone could do similar with home shop fabrication skills. I had Rover Accessories do this. Need to take some pics and post....

Doug W.
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

yes please
Old September 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Please, post pics.....
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Finally....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0992.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	6848   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0993.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	6849  

Name:	CIMG0994.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	6850   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0995.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	6851  

Name:	CIMG0997.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	6852   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0998.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	6853  

Name:	CIMG0999.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	6854   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1000.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	6855  

Old September 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

doug-the seats look great!! i realy like how the you were able to work the moorland cloth into them!
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Hey Doug,

Interesting set-up, congratulations on a unique solution! Not to sound like a jerk, but playing the devils advocate, it looks like the seatbelt anchors are way too far forward to restrain the seat's passenger though? Is that just an illusion in these photos?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:49 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Doug, Looks good. I like the "looped" bottom (rear) support. As I noted, my stock one doesn't allow the bench seat to lock inplace when swung back. So, it's swung forward and doesn't do anything.

For me, I'd like more sitting space so a bench is mandatory. I'll be fitting two inward facing seats (from the 90) all the way back (don't want those kids too close to the adults in the second row) and using the space in between the wheel wells for two tool boxes (one on each side). That should allow for no stuff "stored" under the seat just attracting the wrong element.

Yea, looks like the seatbely is too forward.
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

In the CrewCab we took a VW Eurovan 3rd seat, had it narrowed 6 inches and reupholstered. The seat has it's own seat base that could be reworked very easily to accomodate a hinge and the 110's funky seat geometry.

Go to your local wrecker and take a look at one. I like how it feels, armrests, head rests, comfy!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, d110