D110 External Cage Powder Coating... entering the rabbit hole? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
KMarshall
Kevin Marshall
1993 NAS D110

D110 External Cage Powder Coating... entering the rabbit hole?

Hello, I just purchased a 93 D110 (and am regretfully, and slowly am putting up my 95 D90 up for sell) and am looking to remove the external cage so I can refinish / powder coat it. My question is, if I remove all the bolts and "seals" between the mount point and the body am I stepping into the rabbits hole and entering a much larger project? Are the nuts all welded in place and do you folks suspect I'll find more and more stuff to fix? Or is it pretty straight forward? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Man, that makes two of us. I am getting my 94 Conniston Green 90 ready for sale as well, due to a 110 purchase.

I am taking the external roll cage black. (I like the way ECR does theirs). I am finding that it takes a torque 45 head to remove and that the nuts are all captive. Pretty straight forward. Who knows what you will find body wise as you remove these things. Always some other challenge.

Good luck.

Dendy
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I just had my cage powdercoated, and the 110 I bought is one of the rustiest ones I've seen. Several of the torx bolts along the belt line were badly compromised, but none snapped on removal. I used a nice long breaker bar to apply good leverage. The worst part for me was removing the jump seats to get the interior cage pieces out, and many of those fasteners snapped. By far the worst cage fasteners were the ones that go through the floor in the back corners and bolt into the piece in the wheel well. Taking them out took a lot of time and caused much hand-pain, but again, none snapped. I think you'll find the interior cage parts need some blasting and freshening up, so you'll likely want to do them once you get the external cage off and see what they're bolted to.

This is also a good chance to replace the seals between the body and cage. ECR and others here have used the gaskets like D-90 cage where it goes into the fender. According to Fidel, using these on all 6 locations results in a better seal than the stock gasket and sealant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
This is also a good chance to replace the seals between the body and cage. ECR and others here have used the gaskets like D-90 cage where it goes into the fender. According to Fidel, using these on all 6 locations results in a better seal than the stock gasket and sealant.
I agree with JimC, not a horrible job, just a pain if some areas are rusty, but don't worry about it.
To clarify, we use the 90 seals on all cage pints, but we still use sealer to cover the gaps between the body and the inner cage. This keeps the water out and the 90 style seals seal the cage to the body on the exterior and make it easier if you have to remove something down the road (instead of cutting the white caulk type seal that LR used).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
What's that seal part no?
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

I also just recently did mine. It was not hard at all. Of course my truck is really rust free, but so long as your is not too bad I think you will be fine. I had to have my cage burnt to have it powder coated. When they tried to powder coat over the factory white powder coat it just fish eyed. So they put my cage into a burn off oven and started it all over from scratch. Turned out nice though. I have not put the cage back on yet because we are still working on some stuff on the truck. But I did get the little rubber feet covers like go on a D90 for mine also. I got them from Stephen at Safari Rover. They were not priced to bad at all.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Kelly,

Was that for the rear seals or just the front?
Thanks,
Matt
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
KMarshall
Kevin Marshall
1993 NAS D110

Thanks all! I appreciate the advise! Truck is from a dry state with no significant rust, so this shouldn't be too problematic.

Jeff, good to hear from ya! Small world. We're down in Auburn a lot. I'l give a call next time we are cruising by MV or at SG.

Thanks!
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Stephen ordered me 6 rubber feet for the cage. He said they would fit both front and rear.
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMarshall
Thanks all! I appreciate the advise! Truck is from a dry state with no significant rust, so this shouldn't be too problematic.

Jeff, good to hear from ya! Small world. We're down in Auburn a lot. I'l give a call next time we are cruising by MV or at SG.

Thanks!
If you need a good powdercoater, let me know. There is one in Corona that does amazing work at a good price. Not sure how far you are away from that though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011509.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	15265  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
they shrunk your body panels!

Old September 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Must have washed them in hot water....

Old September 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
they shrunk your body panels!
Optical illusion. They are actually much bigger than stock. That cooler on the left of the pic is a 100 quart cooler!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

When I had the cage done, they first applied I believe a zinc coating then the powder coat so it was a 2 stage process. Guys correct me here if I am wrong on the zinc (just about the zinc part of powder coating you can correct me on other stuff as I post so no pre-corrected on stupid questions/comments that I have yet to be posted).
Anyhow you might want to make sure you PC shop does that. Sounds a bit silly but if you are in an area susceptible to salt you may want to look into the various additives into the powder coating as I believe they can tweak the paint/coating a little for the prevalent corrosive in your area. This is especially important for trucks along the coast (i know no dah!).
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan
When I had the cage done, they first applied I believe a zinc coating then the powder coat so it was a 2 stage process. Guys correct me here if I am wrong on the zinc (just about the zinc part of powder coating you can correct me on other stuff as I post so no pre-corrected on stupid questions/comments that I have yet to be posted).
Anyhow you might want to make sure you PC shop does that. Sounds a bit silly but if you are in an area susceptible to salt you may want to look into the various additives into the powder coating as I believe they can tweak the paint/coating a little for the prevalent corrosive in your area. This is especially important for trucks along the coast (i know no dah!).
Eh, you sure? The only zinc coat process I know of is to dip it, and the tank they would need for a roll cage would be massive. Plus, I have never heard of powder done on anything but bare metal. I am no expert for sure so I could be wrong too.

However, for my dash they did a 2 part powder with charcoal metalic and clearcoat. Coating came out beautiful. Better than most high $$ paint jobs.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My shop does a phosphate dip prior to coating, but that strikes me more as a cleaning agent than a rust-preventative measure. I dunno, I don't even put nylon washers with stainless fasteners

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Buck,
It was Olympic coatings in Escondido. They said that they do it espcially for sliders/bumpers that could be scratch off roading. That way the scratch/nick goes down to the zinc (or what ever layer/coating it is) before it hits metal. Hmm I tried to call them to get my story straight but they are gone for the evening. RATS!
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

I asked my powder coater if they could powder coat over galvy and he told me they could. So I assume this is possible. And the roll cage breaks down into many sections so the tank would not have to be totally huge or anything.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW26
I asked my powder coater if they could powder coat over galvy and he told me they could. So I assume this is possible. And the roll cage breaks down into many sections so the tank would not have to be totally huge or anything.
Ah yes, I forgot that rovers come with a cage that bolts together.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Buck, you Sir are a cage snob. You forget that some of us don't want to bounce our cages off of anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, cage, d110