D110 External Cage Powder Coating... entering the rabbit hole? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Buck, you Sir are a cage snob. You forget that some of us don't want to bounce our cages off of anything.
I am a cage snob! I think that cages should do something, even if you don't "want" to use them. I am a stickler about this type of thing and I think the rover cage in stock form provides very little except for a false sense of security. Even if you don't ever offroad, I would change it out. But hey, to each his own, you probably won't ever need it.

And, in my defense, it is the only thing I am snobish about on a rover.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I am a cage snob! I think that cages should do something, even if you don't "want" to use them. I am a stickler about this type of thing and I think the rover cage in stock form provides very little except for a false sense of security. Even if you don't ever offroad, I would change it out. But hey, to each his own, you probably won't ever need it.
Although I agree that a Safety Devices style cage is not as tough as what a weld in cage could be, that is a given for sure with no dispute here. I do have to disagree some that the stock cage is useless and only gives a false sense of security.
I have rebuilt many a Defender that has rolled at high speed, flipped, had huge trees land on them, etc and although the trucks were screwed up, in each case (so far) I am rebuilding those trucks for the same owner (meaning he/she survived and still wants to own the vehicle).
Example of a 110 that was hit by an 18 wheeler during an interstate lane change and rolled and skidded down the highway from 70 mph. Owner walked away with a headache. You can see the 18 wheeler tire mark on the tub / door area.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/161.html

Its not a rock crawler cage... but it isn't crap either.

You want false security?? Drive a Euro spec truck with no cage at all.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Although I agree that a Safety Devices style cage is not as tough as what a weld in cage could be, that is a given for sure with no dispute here. I do have to disagree some that the stock cage is useless and only gives a false sense of security.
I have rebuilt many a Defender that has rolled at high speed, flipped, had huge trees land on them, etc and although the trucks were screwed up, in each case (so far) I am rebuilding those trucks for the same owner (meaning he/she survived and still wants to own the vehicle).
Example of a 110 that was hit by an 18 wheeler during an interstate lane change and rolled and skidded down the highway from 70 mph. Owner walked away with a headache. You can see the 18 wheeler tire mark on the tub / door area.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/161.html

Its not a rock crawler cage... but it isn't crap either.

You want false security?? Drive a Euro spec truck with no cage at all.
Good point. I shouldn't imply it is worthless. But,,,, I will say the front portion of NAS 90 cages leave a lot to be desired, to be as nice as I can. The bed cages seem to be okay. It is just a shame that they didn't do a better job because they really could have and made it look near the same.

BTW: Since you have had the bulkhead all alone and stripped down, how huch do you think they weight?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:21 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Does anyone know if you can remove the inner portion of the NAS 110 cage with the seats and headliner in place? I removed and reinstalled it with them out, but I'd like to pull it out briefly again now and the driver seat, rear bench and headliner are all installed.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Front headliner has to come out with front seats pulled forward
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Damn, Ok, Thanks for the quick reply!
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, can't see how you'd do it without dropping the headliner.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, cage, d110