D110 Cold weather diesel issues 300tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Borismill
Brent
1988 Defender

D110 Cold weather diesel issues 300tdi

Hi, i'm new here. I have a diesel 110 and it was parked outside last night and was covered with some ice when I went to start it this afternoon. It started but made whining noises (belts?) but then had a funny smell and stopped. Did I miss something? Is there a do's/don'ts for starting diesels in very cold weather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
is the coolant water or is it antifreeze ? did you open the hood and take a look ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not enough information. Look at the serpentine belt and see if it is okay. Will it start again? Look and see if any pulleys are seized.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2015, 09:30 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Same sort of thing happened to me once. I opened the bonnet and saw the alt. was not spinning. Thought it had seized up. Then I noticed the ice on it. Turns out some snow had melted, dripped onto the alt. and then froze. Hot air gun sorted it out and was fine after that. Along with a new, non-leaky bonnet.

Brett
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Borismill
Brent
1988 Defender

Not sure what the coolant is. I'll check the serpentine, I would guess it was the one making the noise. I just hope I didn't screw something up bad. There was some smoke coming from under the hood that smelled like burned rubber now that I think about it. Maybe something seized. It idled slower than usual and then didn't want to run. I only ran it for about 2 minutes max
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:49 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
did you open the hood and take a look ?
A very valid question.
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borismill View Post
Not sure what the coolant is. I'll check the serpentine, I would guess it was the one making the noise. I just hope I didn't screw something up bad. There was some smoke coming from under the hood that smelled like burned rubber now that I think about it. Maybe something seized. It idled slower than usual and then didn't want to run. I only ran it for about 2 minutes max
My question was I was questioning if your engine and water pump had frozen due to not having adequate antifreeze. That would account for the noise, smell, and stall. Given how cold its going to be tonight you may have bigger problems.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 5th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

This may be the source of the whining you heard.
One cold morning (in the teens) I thought I'd start mine without using the glow plugs, it had been sitting out all night.
After about 20 seconds of cranking, I stopped BUT the starter motor continued to spin WITHOUT engaging the flywheel. Apparently the solenoid stayed engaged (due to magnetic flux) which allowed 12 volts to operate the starter motor without engaging the starter gear Bendix to the flywheel.

I plugged in the fuse to the glow relay, used the glow cycle & it fired right up as usual.

I'd been told that a starter can stay engaged by magnetic flux induction but had never had it happen to me before.
So even though you have turned the key off, the starter can become a "voltage generator" and keep the solenoid engaged. I think some old & sticky lube on the solenoid surfaces can contribute to this process by helping the solenoid not disengage. After reading up on this phenomenon, I also read that this magnetic field can be defeated by employing a inductive (flyback) diode (N1005) on the hot lead to the solenoid, wired to earth ground.

In the right conditions, this can cause the starter to remain engaged to the point of burning up the starter windings and completely fail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

This problem happens In Ford Mustangs too.
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:15 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
This may be the source of the whining you heard. One cold morning (in the teens) I thought I'd start mine without using the glow plugs, it had been sitting out all night. After about 20 seconds of cranking, I stopped BUT the starter motor continued to spin WITHOUT engaging the flywheel. Apparently the solenoid stayed engaged (due to magnetic flux) which allowed 12 volts to operate the starter motor without engaging the starter gear Bendix to the flywheel. I plugged in the fuse to the glow relay, used the glow cycle & it fired right up as usual. I'd been told that a starter can stay engaged by magnetic flux induction but had never had it happen to me before. So even though you have turned the key off, the starter can become a "voltage generator" and keep the solenoid engaged. I think some old & sticky lube on the solenoid surfaces can contribute to this process by helping the solenoid not disengage. After reading up on this phenomenon, I also read that this magnetic field can be defeated by employing a inductive (flyback) diode (N1005) on the hot lead to the solenoid, wired to earth ground. In the right conditions, this can cause the starter to remain engaged to the point of burning up the starter windings and completely fail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode This problem happens In Ford Mustangs too.
wow!

Old March 6th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Great Scott!!! The time circuits must've malfunctioned!!
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I had a look at your ride with X-ray vision through a crystal ball and still can't see clearly under the hood.
Perhaps you could supply some better and more detailed info to get some reasonable answers.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:54 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
To the OP ... if you don't even know what coolant is you probably aren't qualified to accurately describe the problem and even less likely to be able to remediate it.

I would strongly suggest getting someone knowledgeable to take a look at your truck as there are many potential causes and solutions.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
solved!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
solved!

thats a funny looking beagle

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 6th, 2015, 09:23 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
probably a suspension issue ...

Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
the heat from the turbo has shrunk it over last few days. give it a another tank of fuel and it'll be a purse size beagle, then it can be shipped in a usps medium box to 90210.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Who?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old March 7th, 2015, 08:00 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borismill View Post
Hi, i'm new here. I have a diesel 110...
All kidding aside, welcome and don't let all the shucking and jiving turn you off.
If you have issues and can analyze to provide info, people will do their best to help you from afar.

If you haven't done so already, get yourself a workshop manual and some good quality tools.
Read the manual and take on a few small jobs and work your way up to something bigger.
Self reliance is a wonderful thing that only brings on a self confident way of life.

A good start would be testing your glow plugs, then check your belts.
In cold conditions power steering will whine as well as belts.
If you have power steering make sure the reservoir is full, but don't overfill it.

Again welcome and best of luck with your new ride!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 300tdi, d110, diesel, tdi