D110 AC Repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

D110 AC Repair

Tring to get the stock AC going in the '93 NAS D110. Accoring to PO, it has not run in 7+ years and he never tried to fix it. Got the AB retrofit kit but the drier that came with it is not plug and play with the OEM one so I just tried using the stock one. I pulled the compressor as needed, filled with the new oil, installed new belt, replaced the other fittings and o-rings for R134, and went to work.

The compressor clutch is not kicking on when AC is engaged - its not getting power based on testing the connector. Condenser fans and blower motor are working fine. I can get the compressor on by hot-wiring it and it runs and I was able to fill some R134 and get some cold air to blow. Based on the circuit diagram, I think the pressure switches may need replacing. Any idea where they are? I assume they are in the black box up by the PS of the firewall in the engine bay.

All fuses were checked and the the relays seem to be working though need to dig there a little deeper also.

One other question since I am new to AC work - how do you know if/when a compressor is bad? When it ran (hot-wired) I got the system to charge and it blew some cold air but not very cold. I think I need a 101 on AC systems.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I would be having new hoses made on that system if it sat that long.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

Yes - new hoses make sense.

No one knows where the pressure switches are?

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Also, I would get that new dryer in. If the system has been open and exposed to air for any time it will be bad. Also, my understanding is that it is best to replace it when converting even if the system has been maintained in the past. Sorry, no info on the pressure switches.
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

OK - the pressure switch harness is dangling near the drier after I found it there from tracing the wires. Odd thing is that the drier appears to be original yet there is no pressure switch on it at all. I can jumper the pressure switch connector and then AC compressor engages as it should - so that problem is solved. Now I need to figure out the pressure switch issue. Get this - LR stealership says new pressure switch is $350 (for the switch alone). They want another $450 for the drier with the harness. Completely ridiculous.

I guess I need to fab up something to use the aftermkt drier I got from AB and also figure out a pressure switch option (or just bypass it altogether).

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ac, d110